Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Confused! Advice required please

I always thought that on the Skywatcher 200p, the black ring with the two chromed clamping screws on the end of the focuser draw tube, pictured in your photo with the red arrow, unscrewed from the draw tube to reveal a "T' thread that you then attach the Canon "T" adaptor to and then finally attach the camera to by way of the bayonet. No need for a special shortened 2" nose piece at all, or is that only a feature of some of the Skywatcher Newtonian's?

All the literature I have seen for the 200p with the white focuser and black telescope tube states the focuser draw tube has a built in "T" thread for direct camera connection.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After doing a bit more digging/google it looks like i need one of them compression ring things that screw directly onto the end of the focuser :sad:

had a look on FLO site but they don't seem to do them for 200p or at least dont have a pic of one on website.

Thanks to all for help/advice

JemC

I always thought that on the Skywatcher 200p, the black ring with the two chromed clamping screws on the end of the focuser draw tube, pictured in your photo with the red arrow, unscrewed from the draw tube to reveal a "T' thread that you then attach the Canon "T" adaptor to and then finally attach the camera to by way of the bayonet. No need for a special shortened 2" nose piece at all, or is that only a feature of some of the Skywatcher Newtonian's?

All the literature I have seen for the 200p with the white focuser and black telescope tube states the focuser draw tube has a built in "T" thread for direct camera connection.

Hi Oddsocks

the one i have, the t-ring will not screw onto the end of the focuser, wish it did

maybe that was on some of the other models? not sure

like Oddsocks mentions!

On my Skyliner I have two adaptors, 1x 2" and 1x 1.25"....

The 1.25" adaptor  is a two part unit, I separate this item , the the larger element, the T-Adaptor  then attaches to the T-ring, then to the camera?

Your focuser does appear to have a lip though, still trying to ascertain?

The T-Adaptor in my hand right now would fit your focuser even with the lip, as its only a short  length section?

it all moves as one,

i think what i need is something similar but without the lip,

JemC:  Looks like you have a low-profile focuser, which lmits the depth you can insert all 2" eyepieces and accessories.  For fast instruments (lower f-ratio) this might be designed to keep Barlows or eyepieces from projecting right into the tube, and causing odd-looking star images.

I would leave the focuser alone, and get a very short adapter.  You don't need the adapter to be long unless you plan to photograph items nearby -- as in across the yard -- where more back-focus would be needed.  To photograph at infninty, you will probably have to get the camera as colse to the tube as you can, so my best (educated) guess at this point is to swap the adapter for a very short one.  For stability, it's also best that the camera seat right up against the top surface of your focuser, so it doesn't sit even slightly crooked when the screws are tightened.

To perform a test, you could just insert the adapter to the stop, tighten the screws and attach the camera, and see if you can reach focus on an easy target like the moon.  You probably can't, which I'm sure you'd expect, since the camera is hanging out too far.  (You probably can focus on a tree a few dozen meters away, though.)  Now remove the adapter, and try holding the camera with the T-ring attached right up flush to the top surface while pointing at the moon.  You should be able to reach focus, perhaps with a little in-out adjust with the usual focus knob.  If so, then all you need is an adapter long enough to engage the screws and make a solid, secure connection so the camera doesn't wiggle or even fall out.

I would get an adapter just 0.5mm shorter than the depth of the widest part -- you don't want to bottom out, but have solid contact on the widest diameter for stability -- on the "top" surface of the focuser and the mating surface of the adapter for the most stable connection.

I hope that helps...

Clear skies,

Quote:  "Charic has it, the focuser has a 2" and 1.25" adaptor, 1"1.25 inch adaptor separates to reveal the "T" thread."

I had not seen this response when I wrote my last reply.

If you do have a 2"-1.25" adapter that separates into two parts, I'd agree completely -- this should fix your problem.  If not, perhaps FLO can supply one, which effectively has the short (~1cm) stubby length that will lock into your focuser.  Good luck!

Clear skies,

:smiley: I do have the above adapters that are discussed,
i will separate these and have a go with them and see if i can achieve focus,

thanks everyone for all the help/advice :smiley:

i will update as soon as i get chance to try this out

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update on this problem i had,

in spite of trying all the suggestions given by the good people of SGL i still could not achieve focus using any and all combinations of the supplied adapters that came with THE 200P :sad:

I eventually bought from Astroboot for £6 a SW 2 inch focuser ring with 54mm thread that allowed me to use the 2 inch adapter bought from FLO and as soon as this was fitted Focus achieved instantly,

now a happy chap :smiley:

Regards

Archived