Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

UK Light Pollution Falling?

laser_jock99

I am puzzled by the differences between 2012 and 2014. Surely the night sky quality can't have deteriorated in just two years? In fact, unpopulated areas of Mid Wales shows considerable light pollution. Strange.

Yes- the 'dark' areas seem to fluctuate a bit in the image.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My rural skies used to be excellent, I  moved in about a year ago and I got one whole year of pitch black clear skies, then just this year the Church 100m down the road decided they wanted to illuminate the whole buiding (yes even the spire) from the ground with spot lights, the Church now looks lovely all night and can be seen from miles around, but there is now a horrible glow in the sky directly above my house :(, most dissapointed.

The original link doesnt appear to have any info for the NW England, I'm guessing that means our light pollution has increased lol.

My rural skies used to be excellent, I  moved in about a year ago and I got one whole year of pitch black clear skies, then just this year the Church 100m down the road decided they wanted to illuminate the whole buiding (yes even the spire) from the ground with spot lights, the Church now looks lovely all night and can be seen from miles around, but there is now a horrible glow in the sky directly above my house :(, most dissapointed.

The original link doesnt appear to have any info for the NW England, I'm guessing that means our light pollution has increased lol.

Talk to the Church, are they not supposed to be compassionate........ :angel8:

Did they get planning permission for this? If not they'll have to switched off.

Well I see 50 protestors went and moaned outside Westminster about the lights in Essex being off for 4 hours a night! It'll be stupid if 50 people cause the whole of Essex to be lit up for no reason! The needs of a couple of places in a couple of towns shouldn't affect a village...

Guys why don't we just form a party? We'll be called... "The common sense party"! And we'll have it so street lamps have to all be LEDs by 2018 and only run in white until midnight and then turn to a dark deep red colour until 4:30.

All outdoor lighting fixtures would have to be approved and meet certain standards (e.g: no upwards-spotlights, lights must be either one horizontal bar with a cover over the top or a flat, square/rectangle with a slight dip in the head where the bulb is. All security lights must be motion-activated and not detect motion beyond the front/rear of the property.)

Sadly, I think we wouldn't get many votes. Pretty lights, after all, are pretty. Even when you're sleeping!

Did they get planning permission for this? If not they'll have to switched off.

Would you beleive it it, they are no longer on anymore  :grin: (maybe someone else beat me to it or they just recieved thier first elec bill), the bowling green has now replaced them for the worst light polluters but they switch off once the beer stops flowing in the pub.

Just need the clouds to naff off now and the winds to die down before the short summer nights start, I'm so hard to please lol

i'm just about to get my first scope and I must say that LP is the main thing I worry about for the future with regard to my new hobby.

What with most of Europe and the third world seemingly flooding into the UK and all of the councils and construction companies here rushing to slab over what was our once Green and Pleasant land to accomodate them, I can't see LP getting better than it is now, only far, far worse.

Don't worry too much about light pollution. I found many objects with an 8 inch reflector in a street which has three streetlights shining on my garden and numerous security lights. I saw most of the Messier list - probably could of found the rest had I of kept the scope longer. Saw many great objects - enough to keep you busy for many years! It may get worse, but I see lighting getting more efficient and it becoming less acceptable to light everything when not in use during the night in the future.

John

I prefer the lights to not be red! As long as they are better than full cutoff... No light within 20degrees of the horizontal we will be fine. It's the bear hirizontal stuff that winds its way across the countryside and causes you to see cities many miles away. Light going vertically up isn't a problem.....

PeterW

That's encouraging John, I'm sat here with my poorly arm just wishing I could drive so I can go and get my scope. Last night was a lovely clear sky here, though may have been to bright due to the moon. Some [removed word] up there must have a HUGE security light :-)

That's encouraging John, I'm sat here with my poorly arm just wishing I could drive so I can go and get my scope. Last night was a lovely clear sky here, though may have been to bright due to the moon. Some [removed word] up there must have a HUGE security light :-)

Yeah, I was trying to find out more about that security light last night during a breif break in the clouds. I'm surprised it's still working, it looks like it's been hit by meteors about a thousand times or something!

Our local council  have NO plans to change street lights to LED lights. Reason ,it will cost £11 million and will require completely new lamp posts???!!!! Beside what with government cut backs the council have to protect their bonuses and expenses!!!!

Our local council  have NO plans to change street lights to LED lights. Reason ,it will cost £11 million and will require completely new lamp posts???!!!! Beside what with government cut backs the council have to protect their bonuses and expenses!!!!

Hm, it didn't need new lamp posts where I am. They just took the heads of the old lamp posts and put new ones on :p

Unfortunately, even when all the street lamps in plymouth, tavistock and ivybridge are almost 0 light-pollution LEDs... The hooe loos have outdoor lights hat are bright and the city centre has numerous lamps to illuminate the mossy limestone buildings. You know, because orange lights glaring up in the sky and illuminating mossy/blackened buildings from the 50s is really good lookin'!

Archived