NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...

StarMan1701

A quote from their small (not so small actually) print:

"But let it be known that although you are the owner of this claim, this is not in fact a legal document in itself and should be taken in the spirit that it was intended. This is in fact a novelty item intended to be used as a gift or however the purchaser sees fit."

At least they are being honest about it which is more than can be said for some of these scams:

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,24634.0.html

But how can we tell which Phoney Extra-Terrestrial Land Estate company is the best ?????

As Harry Hill would say - "There's only one way ....... FIGHHHTTTTTT !!!!" :rolleyes:

John

If this is illegal, could we not all bid on it everytime we see him list one of these scams and not pay him a thing? Yeah, he could take it to ebay's legal department but I dont think they will be impressed either.

That way the sucker would have to pay to re-list :rolleyes:

Matt

If this is illegal, could we not all bid on it everytime we see him list one of these scams and not pay him a thing? Yeah, he could take it to ebay's legal department but I dont think they will be impressed either.

That way the sucker would have to pay to re-list :rolleyes:

Matt

It's not illegal as his advert makes it clear that it's not legally binding and a "novelty gift".

John

To be honest, this one almost gave me a bit of a chuckle. At least (for Ebay) the advertisement is reasonably coherent and one senses SOME background research. Moreover someone who makes a genuine effort with their selling (I always check anyway). But Hey, don't cyber-flog me? I'm Macavity not Moriarty... :rolleyes:

Again why do poeple get upset about this stuff.

It is not a scam, he is telling people what they are getting - i.e. a novelty gift.

As for the suggestion that you should bid and not pay. This is a bad idea. If you bid you are legally contracted to pay and failure to do so could result in being taken to the Small Claims Court and judgment being awarded against you.

Come on guys - its a bit of fun.

Not as much of a check by the way as making you pay £100.00 for Buzz Aldrin's autograph (see another thread) when he is the one actually signing it in front of you.

I see your point, its not illegal, however taking in to account the price of it, these adverts are targeting unknowing people who think they have invested in something special. I still think the price is pretty darn steep for a few peices of paper with nice fonts on it.

IMO it's a pathetic way to make a living, why not do something more constructive to make money. Be an astonomy products manufacturer or something :rolleyes:

Matt

As for the suggestion that you should bid and not pay. This is a bad idea. If you bid you are legally contracted to pay and failure to do so could result in being taken to the Small Claims Court and judgment being awarded against you.

That is assuming that the buyer and seller are both in the same country and there is a Small Claims Court in existence. I live in Spain, is a potential buyer (or seller) in the US going to take me to a court here? I don´t think so.

He is making claims that he cannot delivery, that's part of the problem.

TBH in a world where a fast food outlet has to print - "Coffee will be HOT" on a coffee cup, there are LOTS of stupid people out there...

I wouldn't be at all suprised if lots of people fall for this.

Not that I really care :rolleyes:

Not at all mate.

I personally think that the SEE STUNNING VIEWS OF SATURN is misleading. But only enough to make a comment in this thread.

I didn't read the entire ad - maybe I should have done. :rolleyes:

But I do stand by my - generally people are stupid statement*. :)

Ant

* All astronomers excluded

That is assuming that the buyer and seller are both in the same country and there is a Small Claims Court in existence. I live in Spain, is a potential buyer (or seller) in the US going to take me to a court here? I don´t think so.

I don't want to keep this going any longer than it needs to but Ebay have strict rules on the legal jurisdiction, as do most contracts.

UK Ebay = claim will be brought in UK Courts under UK law irrespective of where the buyer is - and on that basis you would be in breach of contract if you did not pay and therefore subject to judgment.

Anywhoo!

Even better, these are for sale, located in Kings Lynn, Norfolk.

Half of us are going there this weekend.........we could ALL pay him a visit at once clamouring for our very own 640 acres.

What he may not realise is that land sold in that quantity is usually measured in Hectares.

I think we have already had this conversation though>???

I'm tempted to buy one of these things and then send a made up bank note marked 20 Titanian Pounds and then underneath in much smaller print "But let it be known that although you are the owner of this note, this is not in fact a legal currency in itself and should be taken in the spirit that it was intended....."

As the £ - Titianian Pound exchange rate is currently 1:1 the seller would be 1 Titanian pence up on the deal !.

I doubt that E.Bay rules cover payments made in off-Earth currencies :rolleyes:

John

UK Ebay = claim will be brought in UK Courts under UK law irrespective of where the buyer is - and on that basis you would be in breach of contract if you did not pay and therefore subject to judgment.

And just how is the claimant going to enforce any such judgment (presumbly given in default only) on a resident of a foreign country?

And when neither buyer nor seller reside in the UK??????

Well I suppose enforcement would prove tricky, but if you ever returned to the UK and found a CCJ against you it may prove tricky to get credit cards, mortgages etc etc.

This does not concern some poeple but then again if they will cancel a contract with an ebay seller having had no intention of ever paying when they placed their bid I wonder how other non ebay online retailers would feel about their custom.

I'm tempted to buy one of these things and then send a made up bank note marked 20 Titanian Pounds and then underneath in much smaller print "But let it be known that although you are the owner of this note, this is not in fact a legal currency in itself and should be taken in the spirit that it was intended....."

As the £ - Titianian Pound exchange rate is currently 1:1 the seller would be 1 Titanian pence up on the deal !.

I doubt that E.Bay rules cover payments made in off-Earth currencies :rolleyes:

Thats GENIOUS... Oh go on , do it :)

It is a bit of fun, and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if the money were going somewhere other than in the seller's bank account. If he were selling these to benefit the one-legged seafarer's home, I'd even call it a worthy cause. But I don't think he is.

Archived