Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LRGB Filters - Mono camera

I'm no doubt bring dense but - can I grab a coloured Jupiter if I use filters LRGB with my mono QHY5 - ive no idea how filters would give a mono camera colour?

Then join then in PIPP to then stack in AS!2?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You shoot an AVI with red filter, then another one with green and third with blue. Then you stack and process each AVI. When that's done you combine those processed images into a color, RGB image - in WinJUPOS, AstraImage, Nebulosity or other application that can do it.

As Jupiter rotates fast, wouldn't you need to take the successive captures quite fast? There's WinJUPOS to derotate the images but I've not tried it, and to me it looks really complicated!

Alexxx

I use Firecapture for data acquisition. It controls my filterwheel via an ASCOM driver. I set it up to do a 50 second Red avi, it then automatically advances to the Green filter, records another avi, then onto the Green. once the green is done, Firecapture than advances the wheel to the Red filter. It makes taking the three avis a one-button click. I have seen no real reason to use Winjupos on a 3 minute run.

For longer runs, then Winjupos would be a must. i have seen images taken with 8 minutes recording and they were really good. I have yet to figure out WinJupos though...it's not the most user-friendly piece of software!

Oh - well I also have a Philips NC900 or 9000 - Im going to play with that since its colour.

I suppose my dslr isnt has good as a webcam for planets - if so 1/20th on 400iso - just a handful of shots?

If all else fails the following looks a beaut !

ZWO ASI120MC Colour 1/3" CMOS USB2.0 Camera with Autoguider Port

I have the 120MC, and this is a pic of Juipter I took with a 3x TAL Barlow with my 200P. I'm not the best at planetary imaging. The seeing is crucial too and I'm not sure it was that great then.

post-1704-0-96862400-1426680457.jpg

I believe your DSLR can take vids. See my rambling thread here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/208610-planetary-imaging-with-dslr-video-mode/

I'm no doubt bring dense but - can I grab a coloured Jupiter if I use filters LRGB with my mono QHY5 - ive no idea how filters would give a mono camera colour?

Then join then in PIPP to then stack in AS!2?

Of course you can, this is exactly how a colour camera gives you a colour picture by using the Bayer Colour Matrix on top of the sensor. You take the RGB to reconstitute the colour and  the Luminance for detail and combine them post capture.

A.G

Could I use PIPP to combine or would I use registax 6?

The dslr pics are great of Jupiter - how many 1/100th do you take - surely not 800 like with a web cam?

PIPP will not combine individual RGB images or videos to produce a colour one.  It will do the opposite and split colour into RGB but that is not much use to you!

Could I use PIPP to combine or would I use registax 6?

The dslr pics are great of Jupiter - how many 1/100th do you take - surely not 800 like with a web cam?

You have to understand why a webcam takes so many frames then it might help you with the DSLR. Planetary imaging is usually done at extreme FL that your set up is capable of, usually between 2.5 and 5 meters. This is so the disc of the planet could be resolved with enough detail to make the features stand out otherwise it is just a disc of mush. At such long FL  the atmospheric conditions are the most influential factor and you may have noticed that how difficult it is to obtain sharp focus and the planet bobbing up and down like a YoYo. In between these moments of bad seeing there are a few good ones where the target looks sharp and the details of the features are discernible. A planetary camera/webcam will take thousands of rapid frames amongst which there are a few hundred sharp ones. Pipp or Reg6 will analyse the frames and give you an indication of the quality of the frames, you then tell the software how many of the best frames to stack to reduce the noise and build the signal. That is why you need thousands of frames. This is not unlike amateur digital or sports photography where dozens of frames are shot in the hope of getting one really sharp one, sort of a blunderbuss  approach to imaging. BTW the quality analysis of the software is relative not absolute. It sort of works on the assumption that the frame with the most contrast is the best " reference " frame but if all your frames are sort of mediocre then there is not much to go by.

Regards,

A.G

You have to understand why a webcam takes so many frames then it might help you with the DSLR. Planetary imaging is usually done at extreme FL that your set up is capable of, usually between 2.5 and 5 meters. This is so the disc of the planet could be resolved with enough detail to make the features stand out otherwise it is just a disc of mush. At such long FL  the atmospheric conditions are the most influential factor and you may have noticed that how difficult it is to obtain sharp focus and the planet bobbing up and down like a YoYo. In between these moments of bad seeing there are a few good ones where the target looks sharp and the details of the features are discernible. A planetary camera/webcam will take thousands of rapid frames amongst which there are a few hundred sharp ones. Pipp or Reg6 will analyse the frames and give you an indication of the quality of the frames, you then tell the software how many of the best frames to stack to reduce the noise and build the signal. That is why you need thousands of frames. This is not unlike amateur digital or sports photography where dozens of frames are shot in the hope of getting one really sharp one, sort of a blunderbuss  approach to imaging. BTW the quality analysis of the software is relative not absolute. It sort of works on the assumption that the frame with the most contrast is the best " reference " frame but if all your frames are sort of mediocre then there is not much to go by.

Regards,

A.G

Oh - so a dslr is no good then?

It depends. I think single shots with a DSLR are not likely to succeed since the chances of being lucky and taking a picture at the moment (micro-moment) of good seeing are slim. In addition, you will either have to shoot long exposure - so blurry, or high ISO - so noisy.

However Many DSLRs can shoot video, though you might be limited to 24 or 25 frames per second. I'm also not sure how a DSLR shoots video. Does it 'sample' from the whole of the chip? If so, resolution might be an issue. I believe that there is a utility called MOVEOS (or something like that) that allows you to shoot video using only a part of the sensor on Canon cameras. I have never tried this, though.

DSLR is not the optimal tool, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. Just that people wanting the best just go to planetary cameras and not DSLR, webcams etc.

Oh hang on - you've added planetary cameras - you mean the QHY series? Ive got one of them :)

Is the ZWO any good? Is this a web cam or planet cam?

Right - so Id like to use LRBG with my QHY - can anyone recommend a good set - got the web link?

Also - once Ive got my images how do I combine them - Ive been using PIPP and reg6 on one image but not sure how to combine them - do I combine then refine or refine them all then combine?

Right - so Id like to use LRBG with my QHY - can anyone recommend a good set - got the web link?

Also - once Ive got my images how do I combine them - Ive been using PIPP and reg6 on one image but not sure how to combine them - do I combine then refine or refine them all then combine?

Tutorial

Stack and sharpen the individual avis and then combine them in Photoshop as above. Other programs will use a similar technique.

Archived