Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M101, M106, M63 and NGC4631+NGC4656

Xplode

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are correct about the purple tinge in the stars on M63. I will redo that image.

SCNR must have changed the color balance in the stars. Guess i need to use a star mask to protect them.

So much easier just to use Ps Layers and put the old stars back in the new image... I'd have thought?

With the modifications that wide M101 has become one of my favourite images ever. I think it is simply stunning. Magical.

Olly

Oh my God, and it's not CCD. What am I saying????  :grin:

Thank you Olly :grin:

I haven't taken the time to fix the stars yet so i'll definitely try your suggestion.

I really hope my mono DSLR will be here before the end of the season so i can try to add some good luminance data to these images. 2-3 hours should do wonders.

If it doesn't work out maybe i will buy a CCD too? Any suggestions on which one to go for? 

Thank you Olly :grin:

I haven't taken the time to fix the stars yet so i'll definitely try your suggestion.

I really hope my mono DSLR will be here before the end of the season so i can try to add some good luminance data to these images. 2-3 hours should do wonders.

If it doesn't work out maybe i will buy a CCD too? Any suggestions on which one to go for? 

Sony are small and clean, Kodak (Truesense) are big and rough but calibrate out. I like real estate so I have the full frame Atik 11000 but your optics have to cover it. The 8300 chip is a good compromise. In general I like Atik on bang for buck, quality and service but I wouldn't say no to a QSI...

There are other makes to which I would say no but not in public...

Olly

The 8300 chip is an ok size, but seems very noisy...it's technology over 10 years old. 

Sony chips are just too small so i guess i'm stuck with the larger Kodak chips. 

The one that is most interesting is the 16070 sensor... i think only FLI has it and their cameras are too expensive. Moravian had plans to make one, but i think they abandoned it for some reason.

I'll probably have to go for the 11002 if want a large sensor. Maybe a used one will show up during the summer if i decide to buy one.

• 3 weeks later...

Some inspirational images here...

And from a DSLR @ f5 too...... quite incredible.

Shows that the CCD's days are numbered... :evil:

If only we had clean skies.

A.G

We do, it is clear all the way up to the permanent cloud layer...

Archived