Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How much difference can a tripod make?

For any given mount head, how much difference can a tripod make? For example, could a wobbly Porta Mount become super stable with 2" steel legs compared to the lightweight aluminium tripod supplied with it? Does wood really suppress vibration better than metal or by the time you get to the mount head, does it not make any difference?

(some might notice this is a subtle reworking of a similar post I made a few days ago which has received slightly less than one reply). 

A study tripod can improve atability greatly.

But there is no good putting a low quality mount on a top quality tripod if you have to bodge together how they join. Part of the inherent stability in good mounts is that they are rigidly attached to their tripod.

Also, if the mount has lots of back lash, the scope may still wobble.

If you want a rock strady set up, get a better quality mount which comes with thick diameter legs.

I know nothing about wood, sorry.

James

Well this is part of my dilemma. I sort of feel obliged to stick with the Porta Mount as I also have the Argo Navis push-to system for it. Perhaps if the head's not up to the job though I should just invest in a better mount; I could always buy the different parts to make the Argo Navis work with it, but not much else has slow motion controls....unless I go for an EQ...which isn't really grab and go. 

Hmmmmm. 

If you consider that the head bit of just about any mount is a fairly solid chunk of inflexible metal then the "shake" and vibration would seem to have to come from the tripod.

The head part of a Porta Mount is not exactly flexible and bends in the wind. So the movement is not I would say created by the head but by the movement in the tripod.

Usually the narrower tubed tripods have either more play or they cannot be tightened up or clamped as rigidly as a bigger tube. The thinner tube wall thickness distorts too easy, then fails to work right.

I went looking at the iOptron SmartEQ mounts and did not buy simply because the tripod was so insubstantial that I would not trust it to hold securely or stable enough a refractor of 1/2 to 2/3 the stated weight. If iOptron offered the unit on a better tripod I would reconsider but not on the "standard" item.

Thanks - that's reassuring. I'd emailed Teleskop Service about the Berlebach Uni-18 but they said it couldn't be mated with a Porta Mount. I'm a bit surprised as they can take a GP2 or SPX mount and I think they're all the same fittings. 

The feature that determines the stability of a tripod most is the design. Tripods with adjustable parallel legs will never be as stable as non adjustable versions with double leg components well splayed at the head fixing point.  :smiley:

When I got back into astro in the late 90s I bought an st120 on an eq3 with shaky ali tubed and plastic tripod, the tripod let the whole set up down. I built an ash tripod for the set up using the original head and spreader. Wow, the difference was remarkable.

Advisable to match the quality of the mount with similar if not better quality tripod.

Totally agree, the tripod is very significant, although it is only one part in the chain. Flex can occur in the mount itself, in the clamps or rings aswell as the tripod.

I use a Giro-WR alt Az head, it is only tiny but when mounted on an EQ6 style tripod it is highly capable and much more solid than when on a very good photo tripod.

I think you either get, or don't get slo mo controls. I always found them fiddly and ended up just grabbing the scope when I had a Porta, so switched to the giros which to me are more stable

Thanks all - I've plumped for the Berlebach route (Uni 18) thanks to Mr Sainsbury's 12 months interest free offer on my Mastercard. I figured if I still find the mount head below par (I don't think I will), I've got a tripod that will last me a lifetime. 

Archived