Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing Meet - Mar. 20th or 21st

L8-Nite

Hi Folks,

Our next scheduled Observing Meet is for this coming Friday or Saturday, depending on favourable conditions of course. 

Many of our South Wales Group members will be attending the " SGL -10 " Star Party during this time, so it would be good to know how many Stargazers would be interested in an observing session at the Blaenavon site this weekend. Please post your intent soon, so that other plans can be made by everyone if there is little interest. 

Thanks, and clear skies to us all.   :smile:

Edit: Please check this thread for updates.

Tonight looks clear from 10:00pm ( 22:00 ) throughout the night, however, its my experience that whatever the wind forecast is, you can double it at the site.

So one can expect a 15 > 20 mph wind this evening. :icon_frown:  If you live close by, I would say give it a go;  if not, use your better judgement.

I will be unable to attend tonight as my vehicle parts did not arrive today.

Cheers.

Thanks for the local feedback Stuart, so its definitely a  " NO-GO ".

It's a tough call when you can't rely on the forecasters, especially when they forecast for a  " specific location "  on their sites. :sad:

Hi Anthony,

Its a long way to travel for many of us and for some it can be expensive, so unless conditions look favourable for an enjoyable night, I make the call to best of my judgement based on past experience. Many times I've travelled to our site only to be disappointed by the forecasters.  If you or others feel a call is in error, and it may be (?), its still your choice as to weather or not the trip is worthwhile; and if you feel inclined to do so, go for it, It's your hobby and your judgement call also.  

The sky in Newquay where I was Saturday night was absolutely stunning (not trying to rub salt in of course) - unfortunately after being in the pub since 11.30am to spend all day watching rugby I did not have a steady hand shall we say.

I think that's probably my last chance for this year as I tend to mothball the gear until September so good luck to the rest of you in the following months I may pop up the site just to say hello and keep in touch.

Archived