Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 with mono DSLR

frostynixon

Hello everyone,

i want to show one of my first images taken with a mono modded Nikon D5100. It`s not the ideal target for sensitivity demonstration but atm there are no emission regions visible from my site.

M51

Integration time 24x600s with GSO 8" F5 and Skywatcher NEQ6. I did the processing with PI (still learning :)). I would like to learn how to get the deep space noise better under control. Any hints are welcome!
best regards Matthias

Superb image!

Where do you get cameras monomodded?

Mostly it is a DIY job, not recommended, or you find one from some one who has done it successfully. I have converted a Canon 350D to Mono myself that is why I would not recommend it unless you have a few cameras that you do not mind putting in the bin. I got the 5100 from one of the members here on SGL, Herra. I sent him a private message asking if he wanted to sell it and he did as he was saving for another project . There are a few firms that do it professionally but TBH with the asking price one is better off saving for a proper CCD as most of them are way too expensive, heavy and bulky and at the end they are DSLRs without support. I just wanted to have one as I already have a 314L and 383L mono,  please do not ask why.

A.G

Hello,

after killing one D5100 sensor in my modification attempt, i also got my modified sensor from Herra. Regarding the total cost my D5100  was still alot cheaper then a CCD with KAF8300 sensor. To put this into perspective: For one KAF 8300 CCD you can roughly buy 10 used Nikon D5100. I do not own a dedicated CCD and eventually i will get one for sure, but i would say that mono DSLR`s are a cheap entry to mono imaging.

best regards

That's an amazing image :)  Better than anything I have managed as yet with a 460EX or 314L+ mono CCD camera.  I'll be having another go as soon as we get some clear night skies :D  I think this is my favourite galaxy :)

@Gina: M51 is probably also my favourite galaxy because there is some "action" going on, although M64 is not too far behind in popularity :)

I want to add some color to this image soon. Do the RGB channels usually come from broadband red,blue,green filters or are they constructed of narrowband Halpha, OIII and SII data?

I guess the answer depends on my local light pollution right?

best regards Matthias

Archived