Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Physical contortions in getting the eye to the eyepiece

Right, I see that no query is considered too basic. Try this. I own a Sky-watcher Explorer 200P Newtonian. I'm getting to grips with its use and am having a great time. But I keep encountering a simple problem and wonder if there's a simple trick I'm missing.

I set the scope up and can stand with my eye to the eyepiece. But if I swing the scope to view something else the eyepiece may sometimes end up right on top (me standing on wobbly tip-toe) or even right underneath it (me grovelling or having to practise limbo-dancer moves) - either way it makes for uncomfy viewing. I have to loosen the tube rings and gently twist the scope so that the eyepiece is at a convenient height.

I'm learning to concentrate on smaller areas of sky and a limited number of targets per session (less is more, I'm finding) and so I can set the scope up beforehand knowing roughly the way it'll be pointing. That way it's more or less okay for the whole session - unless, that is, I decide on a whim to swing over somewhere else.

Am I missing a trick?

While the picture below is a imagine rig and doesn't spin now due as this would upset the balance, you place a strip of platic round the top tube ring and hold this in place with large jubilee clip (sourced E-Bay) once this is tightened the tube rings can be loosened and as you move the scope round spin the tube to retain the EP in a comfortable position......

DSC_0841.jpg

EQ5 mount ???

I assume not dobsonian.

If the EQ5 then contortions and odd positions are the normal.

You can get or make some rings that allow the scope to rotate so that you can rotate the OTA so the eyepiece is in a better position. I do not think they solve everything.

Am I missing a trick?

No, you're missing half the fun! :)

Nothing beats swinging the scope across the sky and looking where the eyepiece ends up and thinking "you must be joking!" :D

One of the warnings given by the SGL massive when I suggested I might be getting a large Newtonian was beware of the eyepiece problem.

One solution is to fit a fixed "slip ring" collar round the tube snug up against the upper tube ring. This allows the clamps on the tube rings to be relaxed without the tube sliding through but allow the tube to be rotated.

I have one on my old Fullerscope but not for my SkyWatcher. 

If you are on a GoTo mount the act of rotating the tube can lose the target and/or mess up the alignment altogether.

EDIT: Beaten to it! :)

Hi Langworthy, I had the same issue with my Helios 200 Newton, so I bought an Antares tube rotator in 2012. I love it! I can rotate the tube so the finder is comfortable, then back for the eyepiece, with only slight loss of alignment. The only problem was that it shifted the centre of gravity out by an inch or so, so I got a longer counter balance shaft made. I could have bought an extra weight for my EQ5, but decided that I carried enough weight out already (I posted on this april 2012).

Rother Valley Optics used to sell them, don't know if they still do.

Thanks everyone. The Antares tube rotator seems as if it might be pricey. Is the slip ring collar mentioned by Paul M a cheaper alternative? Is that something I'd have to improvise or are they readily available?

What a great website this is - everyone's so helpful. Many thanks.

hi Langworthy,

You could also try using an Embroidery Ring. Buy 2 off and fix one above (towards the EP) the tube rings and the other below the tube ring (towards the primary) and there is no chance of your scope falling throught the tube rings, if you happen to tilt the scope at a funny angle:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/121237179198?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

hi Langworthy,

You could also try using an Embroidery Ring. Buy 2 off and fix one above (towards the EP) the tube rings and the other below the tube ring (towards the primary) and there is no chance of your scope falling throught the tube rings, if you happen to tilt the scope at a funny angle:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/121237179198?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Clever - I'd not have thought of that. Cheers.

Archived