Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filters-any good?

Hi all

Been away from gazing for a bit; work, my little boy and the cold cold winter have kept me away from the scope but got her out the other night, saw Jupiter, Orion etc and I am getting hooked again.

I am therefore looking at if there is accessories that will aid my viewing. Scope is an SW Explorer 150P and I am happy with my EP collection and so was looking at filters but have no idea a) if they are worth the expenditure and B) if they are, what I should be thinking of getting.

I live in a built up area - dual carriage way so plenty of street lighting (very soon to be switched to LED lighting) but fortunately any direct views of these are blocked by the houses and have the usual issue of surrounding houses selfishly wanting to be able to see at night when I have the scope out.

Viewing-wise I like to have a look at a bit of everything and don't mind getting 2 or 3 different filters for different uses - if they are worth the money

I don't have any filters so not really the best to answer you I suppose.

However when reading on this it seems that the two main ones are OIII and UHC (I think UHC is right)

What I tend to read is that some people like the OIII and others the UHC, so like many things it appears a personel preference.

Another one often mentioned was the IDAS LPS 1 and 2.

The 2 passes a bit more at the IR end and so includes the SII band.

In simple terms it could be OIII or UHC - and then whose UHC, there are slight differences.

One thread about a year ago said/reckoned that the OIII was the only one worth considering, but that seemed a little extreme. However it may have been in the context of if you had to have one then.....

Unless you sort of go looking for one type of objects in particular then the choice is not simple.

I've had a light pollution filter for years which has served me well. I don't use it all the time, but for certain DSO's it does make a difference (just don't expect too Omuch).  My UHC is a little less versatile but was the difference between just seeing the veil from my back garden and not seeing it at all. I also now have an Oiii but not had a chance to use it. You will likely get a number of different opinions on which is best, are they worth the money, etc. My thought is that a LPR or UHC is always worth a go.

I use the Baader neodymium filter for observing planets, i hadn't seen the

GRS on Jupiter until I bought one, it makes such a difference to my viewing,

I also use an Astronomik UHC, which is so good when used observing emission

and planetary nebulae, they both make it money well spent, to me personally that

is, may be to others it might not make much of a difference, like eyepieces, what may

suit one my not suit all.

Your 150P is a nice scope and there will times when filters can improve your observing. If you are not sure which filter does what, then have a look at Lumicon`s web site...www.lumicon.com/  they provide listed detailed information data on all their filters for Astronomy, not the most expensive filters on the market, but still very good :)

Thanks all

I bought a Baader UHC-S filter today and accidentally ended up with an Antares Speers Waler II 4.9mm also. Don't know how that happened!

Hoping that the clouds part for at least an hour tonight so I can try it all out but I doubt it!

@glowjet. I love the 150P. Very forgiving-collimation was well out the other night (laser out of battery and no Cheshire back up) and still saw plenty of detail on Jupiter but cab be pushed into imaging when I get to that.

Thanks all

I bought a Baader UHC-S filter today and accidentally ended up with an Antares Speers Waler II 4.9mm also. Don't know how that happened!

Hoping that the clouds part for at least an hour tonight so I can try it all out but I doubt it!

@glowjet. I love the 150P. Very forgiving-collimation was well out the other night (laser out of battery and no Cheshire back up) and still saw plenty of detail on Jupiter but cab be pushed into imaging when I get to that.

The choice of the UHC-S filter is a wise one as it lets through a good lot of light and performs well as a UHC.  That was the safe bet and a good one to cut your teeth on.  Congrats on the new ep too, can't imagine how that happened!

Archived