Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

March 11, 2015: Is AR12297 flaring again?

As I was cycling to work, I could not resist getting off the bike, setting up the solar scope, and having a quick look at the sun. Apart from a mass of filaments, and the huge sunspot in AR 12297, I spotted a very bright ring-like striucture north an d a bit west of the sunspot, much brighter than the surrounding plage. Will have another look in a moment to see what is going on

It must have been a flare. The region still boasts a bright spot, but the ring of fire has died down, and some fluffy bits of filament are floating araond the area. There is also a bright spot right on the eastern limb, at the base of a little prom. Looks like it might erupt any time

Nice one, Michael, I can tell this one is boiling away simply by the amount of cloud cover we have here :grin:

One very active region. Weekend forecast is clouds again, good luck to see the AR, folks. I am so desperate to try and get some higher res white light on the spots with the ASI174. I wanna try ROI and 10,000 frames in okay seeing to see what comes out.

Archived