Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Artemis 285 for sale, these don't come up very often!

Chris

Just had a message back from the guy and I've got first dibs if I want it! It would be very nice to have both the OSC and mono 285 chips so I think I'll pick it up.

I'll just ask him for a quick dark frame first to make sure all is good.

Atik are only 40 miles away if it did go pair shaped and needed a repair :D 

A word of caution - I dont think Atik will touch it, but I might be wrong. I had one of these as a first CCD and it almost put me off AP completely - just personal experience.

Youre at the mercy of whoever put it together, and its USB1.1 - which caused me no end of problems.

Oh and to stick the final nail in the coffin... its power supply is a massive, thick, DIN cable (horrid).

Thanks for the warning Rob, I'm not too worried about USB1.1 as I've used that ok with an old Atik 16, but yes it can be a bit painful waiting for it to download. I didn't know about the power cable so thanks for the heads up about that.

I've asked for a dark and a light frame so we'll see what they look like but yes this it's a bit of a gamble with a 10 year old camera. 330 quid is however a very cheap way of getting the 285 chip.

May I ask which bits specifically nearly put you off AP? The more knowledge I have the better :)

The camera I had gave whatever computer I plugged it into the dredded BSOD (blue screen of death), it would take about three subs then killed the computer stone dead. Oh, there is no setpoint either, it just runs as cold as it can (with no temp feedback in Artmeis). Luckily the person who sold it to me was nice enough to issue a refund, which I put towards a 314L+ .... satisfied ever since.

If im not mistaken, plugging USB 1.1 and USB2 items into the same usb splitter drags the whole thing down to 1.1.

£330 is a bit of a gamble, so youre quite right to ask for flats and a dark.

Cheers Rob, that sounds horrible and is putting me off a bit. Well that and I've not heard a peep since asking for lights and darks about 5 hours ago.

It doesn't look like it's happening now . 

These were kit built but if the camera works it is likely to go on working, I'd have thought.

I started with a 16HR. Super camera.

Olly

Oddly enough I have what I was told is an ex OllyP 16IC powered up on my desk at this very moment.

James

Oddly enough I have what I was told is an ex OllyP 16IC powered up on my desk at this very moment.

James

Swab it for DNA, then we can clone ourselves some mini Olly P's to help us with image processing :D

Is the camera new to you James?

Sounds interesting James, I take it there isn't any existing Linux capture software which is why you are doing it? or is it something specific capture wise? 

Do you code for a living then? I've been learning a bit of C# myself but I've got a long way to go until I'm fluent.

There's not a huge amount of Linux-based astro software really, and even less for OSX.  I started out initially wanting something that would work with the ZWO cameras on Linux and it sort of evolved.  There have been a few other similar applications on Linux such as wxAstroCapture and qastrocam and its forks, but they appear to be moribund and I was actually after something a bit different anyhow, in that I was kenn to have libraries that could potentially be used from any programming language and that provided a consistent API that isn't tightly-coupled to the application (so I can also write, say, a meteor cam or all-sky cam application, or one that runs from the command line, without writing any more camera support code).

Thus far I think I've got support for the ZWO cameras, TIS cameras (though I still have to fix an issue with colour FireWire cams), anything that works natively on Linux, UVC cameras, FireWire and USB IIDC cameras, QHY5, QHY5L-II and QHY6 and partial support for the serial Atik cameras and Lodestar.  I have a couple of filter wheels working, too.

Some of what I do for a living involves writing code, or at least bending computers to my will by some method or another, but it's quite some years since I did anything close to the device driver type level.

James

My hat off to you James. What you're doing clearly takes a lot of commitment, not only in terms of time and effort, but also financial commitment I should imagine, CCD cams generally aren't cheap!

Indeed they don't.  I pick up what I can when it comes up on ebay, AB&S or the classifieds for a price I can afford, but I have reached the point now where I won't buy something unless I can see myself using it long-term.  It's always nice when you find a camera vendor that uses a single interface for all their cameras.  Saves a lot of effort :)

James

Archived