Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Astro Solar - New Website

russ.will

I had been planning on buying a full aperture solar filter of some sort for my LX200 8". Having thoroughly search here and elsewhere on glass (Thousand Oaks, etc) versus thin film filters, I decided thin film was the way to go. I also wanted it to be held in a good quality, securable filter holder and of course, in the count down to the partial eclipse, the common sizes are our of stock pretty much everywhere in the UK.

So, not being one to shy away from purchasing in Euros (especially whilst it is so weak against the GBP) I happened across the new AstroSolar.com website from Baader Planetarium. Some may know it by it's old name, ProtecSolar.com.

What was interesting that along with the change of website, Baader have introduced a range of very nice looking Baader Solar Film holders, that come pre-loaded with the visual optimal ND5.0 film. Presumably, after selling the film for 15+ years, they must have figured that people must be holding this stuff on their scopes somehow and if they're not DIYing it, other people must be making money manufacturing holders for it.

There is a range of clamping adjustment on each filter, with nicely made machine bolts and rubber grips, plus additional security in the form of velcro tabs - A belt and braces approach those doing public outreach will appreciate.

Anyhow, there are three ranges.

ASBF - The smallest for binocular & camera use (50-100mm aperture) with a flattened side - remember to buy two for binos!

ASSF - The middle range for "amateur" scopes of 50-100mm - presumably TV85, APM LZOS Triplet Apos, etc constitute 'amateur'!

ASTF - The bigguns for apertures of 80-280mm - man sized pro scopes in other words!

To be fair, the ASTF has a more elaborate 'temperature compensated' mounting system, presumably to account for the greater expansion of the large filter bodies, thus preventing the film from becoming taut. An 80mm ASSF is 49 Euros, versus the 65 Euros of the ASTF.

The crucial point worth noting as I write this, is that all sizes when I looked a while ago are in stock.

Also worth noting is that as a result of the current exchange rate, the ASTF-200 I have just bought has cost me £103 inc delivery and VAT. I will post a user review when it arrives and the clouds clear. If it is really good, I may buy an 80mm aperture one and do a back-to-back with my Lunt Herschel Wedge.

Russell

Archived