NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Laptop problems

Ibbo!

I have a Dell lappy that does not like the cold or so it appears after another night of crashes and freezing (no pun intended) I am getting frustrated

Early morning thoughts are some sort of insulation , maybe a polystyrene box or a pad to sit on bearing in mind I need to see the screen for focusing and starting the run of avi's

At the present I need 2 computers as the ZWO will not play nice with EQMOD and the EQ6 The resurected Sony and the Asus (work netbook that I do not want to use for outside astro) appear to be OK with the cold

Anybody else got the same problem and more importantly did you cure it ?

TIA

Hi Steve

My laptop usb connectors seem to get loose when it's very cold. I've found that taping the end of the cables to the laptop case helps. It doesn't fix the problem but it lessens the chance of the usb connector shifting and causing a disconnect. The design of usb connectors isn't the best but I suppose the way we use them maybe wasn't planned for.

Louise

I've found that as long as the laptop is constantly working then it's fine, but if you allow it to go into sleep mode or shut the lid then it can blue screen when you start it back up again. That's the only time I've had a problem and that was with a HP laptop. I'm going to be using a dell laptop for astro stuff so I'll see what happens.

I have a Dell lappy that does not like the cold or so it appears after another night of crashes and freezing (no pun intended) I am getting frustrated

Early morning thoughts are some sort of insulation , maybe a polystyrene box or a pad to sit on bearing in mind I need to see the screen for focusing and starting the run of avi's

At the present I need 2 computers as the ZWO will not play nice with EQMOD and the EQ6 The resurected Sony and the Asus (work netbook that I do not want to use for outside astro) appear to be OK with the cold

Anybody else got the same problem and more importantly did you cure it ?

TIA

I use an old Dell for capture and I will not allow it to either go to Sleep, Hibernation or turn the screen off. I also throw a towel on top of it and this will help keep some of the generated heat and keep the damp away from the keyboard, it is connected to the mains BTW and not battery operated. The exhaust vents are kept unobstructed but under the towel. Touch wood I have not had any major problem with it.

A.G

Hi Steve,

I use a Lenovo IdeaPad. After several nights of dew-drenched screen and keyboard, I opted for putting everything in a large cardboard box. This protected the laptop from dew and the generated heat also helped to maintain the temperature above the dew point. Plus this also minimised the light from the laptop screen when I wasn't checking it. 

In the picture the laptop is sat in the base of the box - concealed behind the NEQ6.

I think sitting it on a polystyrene pad might retain too much localised heat.

John

post-34867-0-31089400-1426248197_thumb.j

I Sure do Steve, hours recovering it only for hd to  fail, Panny tough books are great the more modern ones have usb. However they do have a pc card slot where you can fit a usb controller. I used to issue them to TW sewer staff so beware of the used market ones!!

Archived