Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 20/02 from Bembridge (Repro)

SnakeyJ

Having packed up the obs tonight, in view of a cloudy outlook and my move next weekend, I was gutted to see a lovely clear and stable looking sky after putting the kids to bed :(

In consolation, I decided to go back over some old data and have a second look.    I've noticed recently that AS!2 quality algorithms are not perfect, and that I am still getting some over exposed and images with FPN at the top of the stack.   PIPP does a slightly better job, but there is still room for some manual intervention, though this is painful on stacks of 1500-2000/6000 frames.    I have noticed that PIPP offers some different quality algorithms, though have not quite plucked up the courage to start tinkering too much here and will save that for another evening when I have fresher eyes.

So cutting a long story short, here's a second go at my data from the 20th Feb.   I have stacked less of the PIPP sorted frames, giving 1250 of the original 6000 per channel in RGB and also excluded the few over exposed and images displaying noticeable FPN.

Original vs Repro:

post-26731-0-00858200-1425854377.png   post-26731-0-15926100-1425854425.png

Not too bad for the boring side of Jupiter ;)

Edit - ( I hadn't noticed the upscale, though I think the second is much improved).

I don't know much about imaging, but I will say the detail looks far better on the last photo! Also how do you add all the text to your photos? Is that using Photoshop?

Thanks - the border is created with image magic, details are pulled automatically from the Firecapture session data.

Nice improvement Jake the repro is much more vibrant.

Thanks Stuart, it's a little noisier but has preserved some extra detail that stronger noise reduction starts to blur away. Is too vibrant/saturated? Colour balance seems a judgement rather than rule and I've raised saturation, vibrance and tweaked the gamma curve to enhance contrast.

Good luck with the move Jake, I hope it is not too stressful.

Lee

Thanks Lee, it all feels in hand to me. Though I daresay I can expect a little stress from my other half, who concentrates on storage space and other more practical concerns ;-)

Here's my quick experiment to test the sigma clipping feature in firecapture.   I'm currently using the 2.3.0.21 beta version.

Not sure to my eyes there's much discernible difference and the sigma clipping option can not be used with drizzling.   So here is the red channel from my image processed with and without sigma clipping, and sharpened with identical wavelet settings in R6.

Without vs with SC.

post-26731-0-90996100-1425936033.png   post-26731-0-27901200-1425936038.png

Flicking between the images I see very little difference.  If anything I would say the first one has more detail.

I wonder if SC might actually be useful for removing artefacts caused by dust spots on the sensor or hot pixels so long as the planet is moving around enough.

Cheers,

Chris

Flicking between the images I see very little difference. If anything I would say the first one has more detail.

I wonder if SC might actually be useful for removing artefacts caused by dust spots on the sensor or hot pixels so long as the planet is moving around enough.

Cheers,

Chris

I think I'm with you here. It's a huge handicap to loose drizzle for good data, but will have a wider play.

Also looking at playing with your alternative quality sort algorithms, though this sounds like another thread :-)

Archived