SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First go at solar (white light)

Uranium235

Just putting in some practice before the eclipse, and my first ever go at solar. But before shooting I had to have a go with the Hyperion EP first :) very nice.

So, I popped the 1000d on with the 2" barlow and got the best focus I felt I could using EOS util. Next time I will try it powered as the Sun moves pretty quickly across the 1000d sensor. Suprising how much shake the shutter causes too, you need to give it about 3 seconds between each shot for it to be steady.

Quite nice out there today, almost felt like I was getting sunburn!

80ED, 1000d, ND5 solar film, 2x barlow

Thanks for looking! :)

16555840960_284a575a31_b.jpg

Good start. I shoot 180 frames in 2 minutes one after the other with no issue. Subs are so short (usually ~1/2000th or less) that you really don't see any negative effects, even on my CG-4 mount. Seeing was shocking today which will likely have had a greater effect.

Look forward to seeing more from you.

Thanks guys :)

Dave, thanks for the pointer on the sub length. I was unsure as to what ISO so I plumped for ISO400 and a shutter speed of 1/800th (the 80ED was operating at f12.75). So shorter subs are better? (as long as the image is bright enough).

If i get bitten by the solar bug I might invest in a wedge for the 80ED, but I would have to remove the reducer and get another UV/IR blocker.

Nice shot!  if you have the camera attached to a computer then leave live view on while you are shooting your subs as this prevents the mirror from flipping up and down every time and causing vibrations.  Drop the ISO to 100 and try that - there is so much light available it is really easy to over expose the image.  It is hard to tell from your JPEG but I suspect your picture is quite a bit over exposed - you should be able to see the surface granulation in the finished picture.

Cheers Roger, I noticed there is some detail around the edges - but as you said it may be over exposed. Its quite difficult to judge a laptop screen in strong sunlight so I eneded up with a towel over my head so I could see it properly..... a very strange sight indeed for the neighbours!

So, shorter exposures - preferably triggered and viewed from an indoors location.

But while I was out there my 4 year old boy got a look-in too, and said he could see the spots - though I didnt get the "wow" I got last time when I showed him the Moon, but he had other stuff to do....  like getting a whacking great splinter in his finger which I had to dig out (cried his eyes out, poor lad!).

re: the difficulty of seeing the screen, you could always knock one of these up, mine does not look very nice and it was meant to be a prototype but it works so I have been using it. It was inspired by one Steve Ward did, his looked a lot posher/competently made :grin:

14618984223_1b10c4fa47_c.jpg

Cheers Roger, I noticed there is some detail around the edges - but as you said it may be over exposed. Its quite difficult to judge a laptop screen in strong sunlight so I eneded up with a towel over my head so I could see it properly..... a very strange sight indeed for the neighbours!

Archived