SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter 5 hour animation transits & occulations Feb 26th

Space Cowboy

I must be missing something as it looks as though the EZPlanetary file format does not contain enough information to input into WINJUPOS, or to allow PIPP to produce them either.  A few pointers here would be most appreciated :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still not sure what you mean Alan. Basically after stacking the Avis in as!2 and sharpening the TIFFs in registax and tweaking in image analyser I would then put them through PIPP to generate the animation or measure each TIFF file in winjupos and open in derotation of images to generate the field rotation correction.

If you are talking about derotating video files in winjupos then yes Ez planetary does not save the Avis in the correct format i.e with the captured frame rate as they are saved at a standard 15fps. This is not an issue for me as I only derotate stacked images.

Still not sure what you mean Alan. Basically after stacking the Avis in as!2 and sharpening the TIFFs in registax and tweaking in image analyser I would then put them through PIPP to generate the animation or measure each TIFF file in winjupos and open in derotation of images to generate the field rotation correction.

If you are talking about derotating video files in winjupos then yes Ez planetary does not save the Avis in the correct format i.e with the captured frame rate as they are saved at a standard 15fps. This is not an issue for me as I only derotate stacked images.

Also PIPP will generate winjupos compatible file names and, I think, can alter the frame rate info if needed.

Also PIPP will generate winjupos compatible file names and, I think, can alter the frame rate info if needed.

Very interesting to hear Jake I did not realise that.

Cheers Peter still lots of work to do with the other 4 hours I captured on the 4th. Looks like there will be over 80 images to measure in winjupos! :shocked:

Stuart, Jake many thanks for your input.  I think I may have overcomplicated my query.  Perhaps you could just tell me if you simply input the date and then the time from the EZPlanetary file name (hh-mm-ss-ms) into WINJUPOS when adding images for image measurement prior to image derotation or do you need to make any time alterations? Think I'll just move to Firecatpure for a simpler life :)

No worries Alan yes I just input the date and time for each measurement. Looking at PIPP it appears EZ planetary is not covered by the time stamp option in that program. If firecapture worked at full frame rate with my netbook I would certainly use that rather than EZ.

No worries Alan yes I just input the date and time for each measurement. Looking at PIPP it appears EZ planetary is not covered by the time stamp option in that program. If firecapture worked at full frame rate with my netbook I would certainly use that rather than EZ.

Hi Stuart,

For PIPP to decode the date/time from EZ planetary generated files you just need to enter the date/time filename format under one of the custom entries.  This is a one-time operation the format will be remembered.

Adding a prefix to the generated filename only saves you from having to enter the date and time manually in WinJUPOS.  I added this to PIPP because I far too often make a mistake when entering the data manually and it just seemed easier to have this automated in the workflow.

Another use PIPP can make from the date/time extracted from the AVI name is generating frame timestamps if the output video format is SER.  This works well if you want to derotate videos rather than images in WinJUPOS as WinJUPOS uses the frame timestamps to derotate the individual frames.  The downside of WinJUPOS's video deroation function is it very slow because it does a complicated derotation of every frame.  You can however get PIPP to just keep the best quality frames from a long video and so long at PIPP outputs the video in SER format with timestamps (with the frames in their original order) WinJUPOS will correctly derotate the video.  My thoughts are that this would allow much longer videos to be used from a colour camera without losing detail due to planetary rotation, but I have yet to try it...

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris. I thought you could only use SER in mono so you would have to split the colour video into RGB channels first? My issue with the EZ planetary avis is they are not saved in the original captured frame rate just a standard 15fps so this means the video length is incorrect for using in winjupos video derotation when it comes to setting the end time.

Thanks Chris. I thought you could only use SER in mono so you would have to split the colour video into RGB channels first? My issue with the EZ planetary avis is they are not saved in the original captured frame rate just a standard 15fps so this means the video length is incorrect for using in winjupos video derotation when it comes to setting the end time.

Version 3 of SER does support colour.  V3 is supported by Firecapture, PIPP, AS!2 and WinJUPOS:

http://www.grischa-hahn.homepage.t-online.de/astro/ser/

You could always run your AVI through PIPP and set the correct frame rate in the output options.  It requires you to know the real frame rate, is a bit of a faff but it is possible.

Cheers Chris that's good to know!

Just poking around with as!2 last night and noticed, under advanced/experimental features, there's some field rotation options. Sigma clipping too - can't wait for a play!

Yes I've not got round to trying the field rotation option in as!2 I will have to give it another look. What exactly is sigma clipping?

Instead of just averaging intensity levels over the stack, Sigma clipping biases against the top end, reducing saturation and preserveing detail. At least that's my read! I will have a play to see if this has a noticeable affect without too great a time penalty.

Archived