Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 5 hour animation transits & occulations Feb 26th

Space Cowboy

My longest animation to date - 5 hours consisting of 62 images. Sadly seeing was poor to fair but I'm just pleased to have captured a busy Jovian evening. Starts at 19.28 and finishes 00.18 ut.

Taken with 10" Dob and QHY5L-II C :

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your generous comments guys! I'm guessing it took about 10 hours processing. Maybe less. If I could batch process the stacked TIFF files in registax rather than have to use wavelets individually that would save a lot of time but it appears you can only do this with avi files.

I use EZ planetary too Paul and I keep the exposure histogram at about 80%. Although seeing was below average trans was very consistent so I could keep the gain and exposure settings roughly the same.

I would rather not have the field rotation but its almost impossible to manually correct this without causing the moons to "bounce" during the animation.

Cheers Chris its thanks to your brilliant PIPP that makes these animations so much easier to produce! Now if you could develop an auto field rotation correction facility - that would be splendid!;-)

I am surprised WinJUPOS is not able to fix it, but it seems not.

I have actually given this some thought and I wonder if having a timestamp for each image would be enough to calculate the amount of field rotation and then remove it.  If you have a series of images with known times I could have a play to see if this approach is feasible.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris I've just realised all I needed to do was increase the image size in winjupos derotation of images so it displays the moons. So I can correct them all in winjup. All this time I thought you could only realign the planet!

Thanks Dror!

Cheers Angie yes 6 days rather than months lol

Well I got the rest of Jupiter's rotation last night though there were long cloud interruptions lasting 1 hour at a time plus the seeing was awful but I THINK I've captured the whole globe.

Brilliant animation Stuart well worth the considerable effort that you have put in.  Just one question, which has been bugging me, how do you input EZPlanetary files into WINJUPOS?

Archived