Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 pier question

beamer3.6m

Andrew did not cement the the outriggers in. He has just built a concrete plinth to stand the mount on. All the cables are in a pipe that comes up through the centre. All his pictures are in the DIY section.

There are better ways to build a pier than what you contemplate. The scope mount should be kept as a separate entity for use when you go to a star party, or to a dark site. If you are thinking of an imaging setup, then have a look at all the piers in the DIY section.

It is not an expensive exercise really, and a permanent concreted in pier is a good way to go.

Here is the link to Andrews thread.

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,22144.0.html

Ron.

Is this stable enough when the weight of the OTA is added etc.

If this works can I ask why more people do not seem to opt for this system - seems to be a lot less hassle than the digging etc.

I could be wrong.

This will work - in fact this is the route that I am thinking about, but it's only going to be as stable as the concrete base it sits on. If you are not too worried about the mount moving slightly and loosing that precious polar alignment, then you could just put it on any patio etc. But if you want it to be rock solid then the base you put it on has to be rock solid - hence the 3' x 3' x 3' hole!

Cheers

Ant

As others have said it's pretty much what I did and I tell you it's a massive step up from just using a tripod, but possibly not quite as sturdy as a thick and solid concrete pier, as it does wobble slightly when kicked. The reason I went down this route was for price. I got the pedestal with the top plate for £45, compared to ~£200 for a dedicated pier.

Cheers

Andrew

I have just looked at the modular pier and it is very pricey.

I am not sure what is the benefit over the skywatcher standard pier.

The reason for it is that if you change the type of equatorial head you can just buy an adapter plate to fit it to the same pier. I can mount my LX90 or my Sirius EQG with side by side refractors on mine just by undoing 3 bolts and swapping the adaptors. You could make your self a home made pillar as others have done here then mount the modualr pier adaptor on top.

The skywatcher pier you have linked to has feet that get in the way, the epsilon pier bolts directly into the ground. They also make a similar field pier which the adapter plates can be mounted on.

Regards

Archived