2.3mm any good for planetary viewing?

Puglets

The eyepiece will give 869x magnification with that scope. The practical maximum is 250x maybe a little more on a really good night.

To get the magnification you divide the focal length of the scope (2000mm) by the focal length of the eyepiece (2.3mm) = 869.565x.

Something around 8mm would give you a good workable maximum power.

So, no, I'm afraid it's not a good eyepiece choice.

If you are using it on a Celestron 8se,  the scope focal length is 2000mm so the 2.3mm eyepiece gives a magnification of 2000/2.3 = 870x

But the aperture is only 8" (sorry about mixing inches and mm!)  and it is reckoned that 50x the aperture (in inches) is the maximum useful magnification.  So your maximum useful magnification is 400x.

So the eyepiece is giving twice the maximum useful magnification i.e. you are magnifying the image beyond the capability of the telescope. 

Mark

11mm TV plossl is a good workable eyepiece for observing planets in this scope, 2032mm FL = 185x. Not recommended if you observe wearing glasses, as eye relief is a little tight for some, personally though I got on fine with it.

I agree. 2.3? Ouch!

I'm still smarting from a hasty purchase of a 2.5!

I'm with scarp15 on the TV plossls - 11 or 8 are great on planets. I was just outside looking at the Moon & Jupiter with both - very sharp clear views. Til the murk rolled up...sigh...

Magnification is not everything, the view if smaller but sharp is so much nicer than big and blurry.

The seeing conditions are so variable that it is not always possible to get a high a magnification as theoretically any telescope might do just by number crunching.

Archived