NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunt 50mm/60mm comparison

• 2 years later...

Lots of questions- sorry,  first of all some great advice. I am just about to part with a large amount of money for a 60mm Ha Double stack B1200 system, . But I am still undecided about whether pressure tuning is worth the money and looking forward, how much maintenance is required/cost. Also how much is the polarizing filter to cut down reflections- is this a problem when imaging? .  is the Crayford focuser any good

Anyone used the   ZWO AS1178 mono camera with the 60mm, any problems?

What tripods do you recommend - not a lot of money left !

Richard,

I don't use Lunt scopes, so can't provide first hand user feedback. I have had a couple in for repair...

The 60mm DS Lunt it fitted with a 50mm external etalon - so it's really a 50mm solar scope.

The only issue with the PT arrangement is the occasional replacement of the O rings and effective greasing, other than that it seems to work pretty well.

I wouldn't worry too much about reflections - I use two SM60 external etalons as my DS on an ED80 with no additional filtering. Try it first, then consider added filters later.....

The ASI 174MM with the small 2.4 micron pixel and a 7.4 x 5mm chip size will just (!!) allow a full disk image. Should work OK.

I use the ASI 1600MM for my solar imaging, and a ASI 174MM for the longer focal length spectroheliograph.

FireCapture for AVI/SER acquisition, AS3! for stacking and ImPPG for the tweaks....

Hope this helps.

Ken

• Like 1

Don't do any prints, so, sorry can't help with that one. (on the screen with Tiff files I can use solar images >150mm diameter or so with no loss of definition)

I use a HEQ5 mount (why? because it's there!) I also have an ol' AZ3 mount which I use for PST etc testing. Works OK, with manual hand controls.

The only other thing is a suitable shade cover...I used a grey 80 ltr tub with the lid hinge gaffa taped and a piece of fencing wire to hold the lid open, to hold the laptop - drape a dark sheet over the lot and you can sit in comfort.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, I can buy an used maxscope for 650 dollar ( in good shape according to the salesman) the main reason for the upgrade is that I can't  get  " full disk"  with my pst. Let's say About 40 percent .(and 32x max used magnification in my area) How good is that maxscope 40 and does it give full disk visually? Thanks. 

Edited by andre2

11 minutes ago, andre2 said:

Hi, I can buy an used maxscope for 650 dollar ( in good shape according to the salesman) the main reason for the upgrade is that I can't  get  " full disk"  with my pst. Let's say About 40 percent . How good is that maxscope 40 and does it give full disk visually? Thanks. 

PST can show a full disk views quite easily, what eyepiece are you using?

20 mm plossl and TV plossl 15 mm. I have heard that the pst has a small sweet spot but maybe this can vary from scope to scope? Do you always can get full disk with your pst?

Edited by andre2

13 minutes ago, andre2 said:

20 mm plossl and TV plossl 15 mm. I have heard that the pst has a small sweet spot but maybe this can vary from scope to scope?

Regardless of sweet spot, you should still be able to fit the full disk in. I used to use an 11mm Plossl and think that used to give full disk still, so your 20mm will easily. What do you see with it?

I had a s/h Lunt 50mm.. it remained with me just one month.. To my taste, it does not allow enough mag, so I sold it. I  have never looked thought a Lunt 60.

Hi, I always tune at the things I will look at, but never all the details at the same time. I can see about 40 percent of features at the same time, and have to move the scope to see the other details. Again , maybe this is also something that can vary as brightness , bandpass....your pst may be different then mine?( Meade pst buy in 2017) 

Edited by andre2

My guess is that you most have some luck with solarscopes. I now someone even with his Lunt 50 double stacked he could use relatieve highe magnification! And some pst's did better for higher mag then some Solarmax 60 11! And visa versa .

Edited by andre2

44 minutes ago, andre2 said:

Hi, I always tune at the things I will look at, but never all the details at the same time. I can see about 40 percent of features at the same time, and have to move the scope to see the other details. Again , maybe this is also something that can vary as brightness , bandpass....your pst may be different then mine?( Meade pst buy in 2017) 

Ah, no, I think it’s just your description was confusing. I’m assuming you can physically see the whole of the solar disk, but you are saying that you cants get detail visible across the whole disk because of the small sweet spot, correct?

Hi, this  clearly show that there  can be a big difference between solarscopes.

And a bigger apeture alone will not always say you will use higher magnification! 

Edited by andre2

Correct. So, does all pst's has this small sweet spot? And not able to see all the details at the same time too? If so, then an upgrade will be worth? Or should I stick with my pst even with it small sweetspot and medium magnification, And patiently wait at acceptable seeing and more exiting details, which may will help to ignore an further upgrade? anyways thanks I will think about it.

Edited by andre2