NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NEW Skywatcher FlexTube truss Dobsonians

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they do bring out a 16" Flextube I'll push, shove and elbow my way to the front of the queue, get one and bring it to Kelling - promise :D

........ actually, I'll let James do the pushing and shoving, he's bigger than me :naka:

The problem used to be mass producing decent 16" mirrrors in China. Now the skills/ equipment are in place IMHO Skywatcher will soon catch up and bring out a 16" Dob and the Flextube is the ideal format.

Can any of you guys advise as to the make up of the mirror cell, is it a 9point fixing. Any issues with weak collimation springs on the main mirror causing the scope to move out of collimation when shifted in altitude? I've had 3 12" dobs GSO, Revelation and meade lightbridge and all needed the upgrade to stronger springs and better thumb screws(the revelation was truly awful!).

Dave

Can any of you guys advise as to the make up of the mirror cell, is it a 9point fixing.

Yes, it is a 9-point cell.

Any issues with weak collimation springs on the main mirror causing the scope to move out of collimation when shifted in altitude?

No, no issues at all.

I've had 3 12" dobs GSO, Revelation and meade lightbridge and all needed the upgrade to stronger springs and better thumb screws(the revelation was truly awful!).

All three - GSO, Revelation and Lightbridge - are actually made by GSO (I used to own a 10" Revelation/GSO Dobsonian so know precisely what you mean). To be fair, the problems with the GSO mirror cells are easily fixed. I think Bob's Knobs offer an upgrade kit that includes stiffer springs. Also, Meade have specified a number of improvements since the first Lightbridge.

There are no such issues with the Skywatcher 8)

HTH

The secondary adjustment seems to be done with an Allen key which doesn't look like the best solution with gloved hands in the dark. Are hand-turnable knobs of the right size readily found as a substitute?

Andrew

• 3 months later...

I had a very close look at the white one you had on display at South West Astronomy Fair (NLO). It certainly looked the part, very well made and excellent value too. I was going to ask if I could pick it up but with the weather being as it was you looked absolutely inundated with enquiries :)

I was going to ask if I could pick it up...

Carrying the base or tube alone is easy enough but together they are large and heavy. At Kelling Daz demonstrated that it could be done but he's a big man, if I tried it I'd probably do myself an injury!

Steve when will the Black Diamond livery be available in the uk for the Pro range of scopes ED80/100 etc

The Evostar 120ED PRO will probably be the first as it is no longer possible to order the original champagne colour. The others will no doubt follow suit.

Mark,

As the new owner of the Flextube that you saw, I easily carried it outside tonight in two parts as Steve suggested. The base seemed slightly heavier than the OTA, but neither are very heavy. I can lift the whole thing but it requires the weight to be taken at arms length so not suitable for carrying at all. For two people, it is a piece of cake - just grab a handle each and away you go.

While I was writing the above, I had an idea, I'll be experimenting later with my little fold up trolley thing. The base of the dob stands off the ground on little feet so I should be able to slide the trolley under it and wheel it back to the shed - just lifting it back in in two bits.

Be good if it works - save me putting wheels on the base.

Mike

Archived