NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

"Steams of stars,like skies at night."

cotterless45

I'd had a list waiting and growing. The very night to get sorted started out well. Comet Lovejoy still bright enough in a starfield between Almach and Shedar. Jupiter high and bright with Ganymede and it's shadow sharply defined on the disc.

Up to UMa and a very bright galaxy NGC 2842, a binocular target. M51 showed the twin tub effect. M106 was very bright, but M109 quite elusive.

Then down to the treasures of CNv. M63 ( the sunflower) giving a bright core and halo.

Both NGC 4485 and 4490 were visible.

NGC 4631 looked very elongate across the fov at x100.

NGC 4565 showed a bright core at x120.

I checked out NGC 3190 in Leo for DKD's included star, but just found the faint surface. There was a faint star nearby, but nothing else. This is a most productive SN galaxy, worth checking out.

Being just before New Moon and black above , I checked out the arc leading to NGC 2419. Very faint, but there it sits. The most distant visible in our galaxy, the "wanderer".

Quite pleased to get some UHC nebulosity around NGC 2264 , the Christmas tree and up to NGC 2244. Checked out NGC 2301"Hagrid's Dragon" riding through this part of Monoceros.

Then after a long nap , back for Virgo double stars and the Virgo Coma Leo clusters. Just very clear, but the seeing had gone wobbling downhill.

The best view was of "little Sagitta" Σ1664 showing a mini arrow, following this led to M104, the Sombrero.

I found the companion of 84 Virginis in the almost smoky halo to this star. The very faint companion to 53 Virginis was found by averted vision ,+12.5.

A swing over to NGC 4274 showed the fov full of Coma galaxies. Dropping down to between Denebola and Vindemiatrix showed the spring feast of the seven brightest Messiers here.

If you're over galaxied, then swing up to M13. Lovely with a dark background at x100, swing out and you'll hit the faint nearby galaxy NGC 6207.

Wisps of cloud were drifting in with yawns. Getting up just before dawn showed a real crusty frost and a very high Summer Triangle, right down to Altair.

A most rare night, hope that you managed out

Qunder Clear skies !

Nick.

post-6974-0-86983500-1424156329_thumb.jp

Lovely writup Nick. There are a couple new targets in there. For me, hyperthermia was setting in by about 3am after a widefield galaxy fest. My new hat and eyepiece were both living up to expectations!

So a good night.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Quick note. I am starting to turn my attention to the Northern skies (its out the front of my house so on the road so less easy for me). I always enjoy your reports and take a good few ideas from them, but think you mean NGC 2481 rather than NGC 2842. Pedantry I know, but as mentioned, your reports always make me want to go outside and for the clouds to go away and look for these objects myself, and I imagine others feel the same way so please take my comment as a compliment :)

Archived