Dielectric diagonal - Worthwhile upgrade ?

Dinosour23

Hey there  ! 

I am interested whether a telescope like the Orion Short Tube - 80A, with it's 80mm/400mm/f5 can benefit from a 70$ upgrade to a GSO Dielectric mirror 99% Diagonal.

What comes stock with it, is a simple mirror with basic coating.

Is it overkill for this scope, or can it make it much nicer ? 

And, is it a straight swap ? 

Thanks ! 

IMHO, the ST-80 is a workhorse.  I use one for a finder (24mm Hyperion permanently installed) for my AR152.  However, the R&P focuser and the diagonal are of poor quality.. that keeps the overall price low enough.

I installed a GSO 2-speed Crayford focuser and a dielectric diagonal in the one pictured here.  The dielectric diagonal definitely makes a difference.post-38191-0-44611500-1423920564_thumb.jpost-38191-0-53901400-1423920601_thumb.jpost-38191-0-53901400-1423920601_thumb.jpost-38191-0-65399100-1423920626_thumb.j

No need for a dielectric diagonal, a decent ordinary one such as TAL will work just as well. The main plus for dielectrics is that they have compression rings as standard but you can also use plastic or delrin tipped retaining screws

Dave

I am currently using my ST80 with a stock Meade 918A, the cheap ones that come with many Meade scopes. It works for my purposes. Currently my ST80 is mostly for daytime solar-viewing with a proper filter. But the ST80 can be a great little scope for many things - such as being my grab & go scope for local outreach work at the local parks. And the ST80 is worthy of being put in the best working order. So here's some help with that:

And here's my personal tips for anyone tuning-up their ST80: To strip off the cheap lube used at the ST80 factory - try using charcoal-lighter fluid, the cheap stuff you use to start your backyard barbeque to burn your food on. Just be careful to use it outdoors - or somewhere with good ventilation - and store it outside. And for re-greasing the R & P focuser, etc., get some high-end grease such as SuperLube with Teflon. A good bicycle-shop would carry such. As a bicycle-mechanic (and many other hats I wear), I've seen this stuff last 20+ years and still be working!

An ST80 is a wonderful telescope worthy of lots of care and love!

Clear Skies,

Dave

post-38438-0-64852300-1423954527.jpg

After two years of repeatedly upgrading my accessories (EPs, diagonals, filters, etc) I am convinced that single items do not give you massive changes in viewing experience, but the combination of the small gains you get with each item in the light path all add up.

If I am willing to spend £300 on individual eyepieces I don't see the point in putting a £20 mirror between those and the sky when I can have a top class mirror and coatings for a third of the price of an EP.

Like others have said, it is all about how much you are willing to invest to get marginally better views.

I'd go ahead and give the dry-lube PTFE a shot. You can always get something else if you're not happy with the result. Acetone will be fine. Highly flammable - and use in a space with good cross-ventilation.

Overhaul Ho!

Dave

Archived