Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first real which scope thread.

I was inspired by this thread to try the 90mm APO triplet out on Jupiter last night with the prism. Seeing turned out to be excellent and the scopes were well cooled, with little ground source thermals about.

Finding Jupiter with my 18ES 82 ( no finder) was easy and then I tried a new combination for the scope on Jupiter, the 10mmBCO/VIP 2x giving 126x mag. This light small scope gave an amazing view of the bright planet, no scatter for all intents and purposes and the EP combo was simply the best yet. The NZ was VG too as were others, but the view the SV 90mm gave was stunning regardless. Bands in the North and South cap were seen and structure was showing in the main bands with a very contrasted look.

Its been awhile since I used this scope on a planet for a serious look- I have to say that a nice APO triplet in this aperture does show Jupiter very well, with no CA at all. I cooled the scopes for about 2 hrs before observing ( and diagonal).

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was inspired by this thread to try the 90mm APO triplet out on Jupiter last night with the prism. Seeing turned out to be excellent and the scopes were well cooled, with little ground source thermals about.

Finding Jupiter with my 18ES 82 ( no finder) was easy and then I tried a new combination for the scope on Jupiter, the 10mmBCO/VIP 2x giving 126x mag. This light small scope gave an amazing view of the bright planet, no scatter for all intents and purposes and the EP combo was simply the best yet. The NZ was VG too as were others, but the view the SV 90mm gave was stunning regardless. Bands in the North and South cap were seen and structure was showing in the main bands with a very contrasted look.

Its been awhile since I used this scope on a planet for a serious look- I have to say that a nice APO triplet in this aperture does show Jupiter very well, with no CA at all. I cooled the scopes for about 2 hrs before observing ( and diagonal).

I would certainly agree on the very nice views these scopes give. My 80mm APM packs a hell of a punch for its aperture, but when I turn to my C8, it just wins hands down in terms of detail, even if the contrast (at the same exit pupil)  is a bit less.

I can't say I ever saw CA on Jupiter or the moon through my C100ED and that has the same glass as the SW ED100. I'd had it to replace my EVO120 but found that I always longed for the extra aperture more so than the CA free views. My current grab and go is an f/5 150P which sits lovely on my Giro. As you have already had the Celestron version I assume this is not a consideration for you.

I agree that a 127MAK may well fit the bill perfectly and there should be enough funds left in the bank to invest in dew prevention.

I would certainly agree on the very nice views these scopes give. My 80mm APM packs a hell of a punch for its aperture, but when I turn to my C8, it just wins hands down in terms of detail, even if the contrast (at the same exit pupil)  is a bit less.

Yes, I also had my VX10 sitting there last night, 240x was ragged sharp and with good contrast and depth to the planets, those caps take on a 3D look kind of. The thin line between the EQ belts was seen again too, along with a festoon. Your C8 is a very good choice in telescopes Michael, compact, light and with VG resolution. Something like this would make a great portable scope.

Yes, I also had my VX10 sitting there last night, 240x was ragged sharp and with good contrast and depth to the planets, those caps take on a 3D look kind of. The thin line between the EQ belts was seen again too, along with a festoon. Your C8 is a very good choice in telescopes Michael, compact, light and with VG resolution. Something like this would make a great portable scope.

That's probably why I have had it for 19+ years :D

I can't say I ever saw CA on Jupiter or the moon through my C100ED and that has the same glass as the SW ED100. I'd had it to replace my EVO120 but found that I always longed for the extra aperture more so than the CA free views. My current grab and go is an f/5 150P which sits lovely on my Giro. As you have already had the Celestron version I assume this is not a consideration for you.

I agree that a 127MAK may well fit the bill perfectly and there should be enough funds left in the bank to invest in dew prevention.

I am going to disagree about the 127 mak, if getting a mak it has to be the 150, i have both and to be honest i dont see me keeping the 127, its no where near as good as the 150 pro

cheers Nick

Yeah, I don't really want another Newt although I agree the views of moon and planets are to my eyes better through a 6" f5 newt than a 80mm (and probably a 100mm) achromat. I am starting to see the benefits of an Ed frac though. 

I think as I say I'll do nothing and see what happens.

I have an older champayne colour 120MM ED Skywatcher and have recently owned a Celestron C100mm F9 ED .Both of these refractor did not show any noticable CA.They are in fact what you would be happy with.Also I used both on a Skywatcher AZ 4 mount with stainless steel legs.

I'd go for the ED100. Its rapid cool down and virtually no CA makes it a great grab and go scope. Also it packs a serious punch on the moon and planets as well as being a good rich field instrument. You'd likely be able to pick up a second hand 100 ED Pro for the money you've got.

OR, you could hold fire and go for a ED 120 after saving up a while. Again the CA is to all Intent's and purposes, visually speaking, non existant. You will hear of the EDs having noticeable colour when out of focus. Well so does my Takahashi FS128 and 152 refractors. The thing that the critics seem to forget is that telescopes are used in focus not out of focus. The real beauty of these ED fluorite doublet apo's is their ability to show incredibly well defined and contrasty detail. I bought a Equinox ED 120 quite a number of years ago now, after a friends ED 120 thrashed the life out of my TV NP 101. It took me all of 60 seconds to make my decision to sell the 101. £3,100.00 of OK views compared to £1,100.00 of fluorite purity. There was no contest! The 101 was gone within a week and I was soon the proud owner of an ED 120 which I still have and will never part with.

Mike :-)

I have decided to try an older model sw or a Celestron 100mm if I can find one. If I can then I will sell a few bits to fund it. Will report back if/when I can get one.

One thing to watch with the celestron, its not so easy to fit a dual speed focuser, though for visual you may be happy with the rack an pinion stock unit

Archived