Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Jupiter I'm Happy With

Steve789

I acquired a SW 127 Mak about a week ago and have been having a go at Jupiter every clear night since. While the results have been significantly better than what I was getting with my 150P the seeing has been pretty poor, until tonight. Managed to get the GRS tonight as well which was a first for me.

LifeCam Studio and 2x Barlow, 80sec avi @ about 17 fps. Best 45% frames stacked in Registax 6 and tweaked in Photoshop.

post-17911-0-32366000-1423526748_thumb.j

Tonight was probably the best night for seeing I've experienced, at least since I got the LifeCam Studio.

I'm assuming the 2 dark spots are cloud/storm formations and not shadows cast from Jupiter's moons.

A VERY nice image! Truly one of the best renderings I've seen. The colour of the GRS is superb!

If anyone wants a freeware-program to identify the Moons at any given time, this is a very nice - and fun - one:

http://www.astrosurf.com/rondi/jupiter/

It's French, but easy to switch it to English - and a few others too.

Clear & Still Skies,

Dave

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

Dave In Vermont that's a useful link I shall download and install that handy piece of software in a minute.

I'm a bit confused about Callisto appearing as a dark spot. Surely if the disk of Jupiter is fully lit by the sun then the face of a moon passing in front of Jupiter will also be fully lit by the sun and should appear as a bright disk not a dark spot? Or is it just a case of the relative brightness of the moon being less than that of Jupiter?

HI Steve - BEAUTIFUL - Just one word needed mate - really nice - I think it may be around the time of a double transit looking at it - the storms are very low contrast and not as distinct as an actual shadow transit - looks like you have caught a tremendous amount of detail with the Mak - they make excellent Planetary scopes.

You should be very proud of that image - very nice.

Paul

Archived