Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Raspberry Pi 2 with Windows 10 - $35, Coming Soon

wuthton

From www.raspberrypi.org

"For the last six months we’ve been working closely with Microsoft to bring the forthcoming Windows 10 to Raspberry Pi 2. Microsoft will have much more to share over the coming months. The Raspberry Pi 2-compatible version of Windows 10 will be available free of charge to makers."
This could be interesting for a lightweight, mount-mounted pc, how functional a free version of Windows will be remains to be seen.
Free and Windows..... in the same sentence.....  :eek:

Is the processor 100% amd64 compatible? If so there is no reason why it wouldn't run any Windows app.

/per

It's an ARM CPU, so it won't.  But my understanding is that with Win10 Microsoft is intending to have it work on ARM devices (to support Windows phones) and have "One Windows To Rule Them All" (and in the darkness bind them, I shouldn't wonder :D

James

Oh, it's not so uncommon. Usually along the lines of "Run Raspbian on it instead and be Windows-free" :D

James

I'd love to be Windows-free but... No Ascom... No Eqmod... no SGP... It just can't be done (currently) without making life unnecessarily difficult.

I'd love to be Windows-free but... No Ascom... No Eqmod... no SGP... It just can't be done (currently) without making life unnecessarily difficult.

Would have disagreed with you until the other night. Kubuntu 14.10 , Ekos with Indi library everything running like a dream,ccd`s, eqmod mod mount, joystick purring like a cat - not a Windows app in sight and then next day I stupidly update to Kubuntu 15.04 and.................bang everything bollo(£ed up  :shocked: . Soddin computers something to be said for a paper star atlas,clockwork drive, tube and an eyepiece says I.

Steve

I really support efforts of open source, but regression testing is not really present in that community, nor is it easily accomplished with the development principles they adhere to. Creating software that updates without breaking is a challenge; just look at how Microsoft tests a Windows build before it is released to testers. They have a server room filled with various (hundreds) of workstations running controlled tests of the build in question 24/7. That kind of resources and that kind of control is simply not available to the open source community. If it was it wouldn't be free.

Still, keep up the good work OS!

/per

Archived