Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

February 4, 2015: Superb views of filaments and huge detached prom

Just had a look at the sunwith the SM-II 60mm, and thoroughly enjoyed it (along with a visitor, a few PhD students and secretaries). There are a lot of filaments visible, especially on the eastern half of the disk. Several plage areas stand out nicely too, and a solitary lareg sunspot can be seen just north of centre. A small but bright plage area t its west seems like it could become active shortly. A series of four proms can be seen on the western limb, and one or two others on the east. One looks more or less attached to a filament on the eastern limb. The best prom was high up in the north east: a huge if faint detached prom, showing some fine internal detail with this bigger scope. It is quite a way from the surface, really surprised to see it there.

We even went up to 80x with the SLV 5mm, and the disk showed lovely detail. Well worth a look

Set up in the end but no joy, couple of seconds of viewing big filament coming round the corner. no chance of imaging, had Skyris 274 for two weeks and not got to use it yet.

Talk of a "Hyder Flare" whatever that is ?

Dave

Michael. Did you see the big prom lift off at around 12.00 ? Lucky to catch it myself as it was relatively short lived. Well shown on GONG.  :smiley:

I saw this I think Peter. It was just above a large filaprom. starting as a large loop it increased in size and width and eventually threw material out with a single pillar left. amazing.

Archived