NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Excited? Moi?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seen this it looks great !!!

What's reversing with the nexus, altitude or azimuth and is it doing it before you align?

Also what mount is it set too?

When you change the encoder setting to plus or minus or opposite you need to completely close down the Sky safari app and reopen it for it to register.

What's reversing with the nexus, altitude or azimuth and is it doing it before you align?

When you change the encoder setting to plus or minus or opposite you need to completely close down the Sky safari app and reopen it for it to register.

forgot about that richard, thats the key. also have you flipped the screen, so all is reversed

Thanks Richard.

SkySafari is set to basic encoder system and alt-AZ push-to

Azimuth seems to be fine, it is the alt which is reversed. It does it before alignment, I have not actually aligned it yet due to the problem.

It is not related to the reversal of the image view to match a newtonian.

Any ideas? I can try changing the alt encoder to negative and then restart skysafari? Would doing an alignment fix it?

Thanks for your help

Stu

Thanks Richard.

SkySafari is set to basic encoder system and alt-AZ push-to

Azimuth seems to be fine, it is the alt which is reversed. It does it before alignment, I have not actually aligned it yet due to the problem.

It is not related to the reversal of the image view to match a newtonian.

Any ideas? I can try changing the alt encoder to negative and then restart skysafari? Would doing an alignment fix it?

Thanks for your help

Stu

An alignment won't fix it, I just wondered whether it was working correctly first as I had a bug like that once.

The altitude should be set to -10000 but I'm sure you need to reboot Sky safari for the change to be recognised. To be doubly sure reboot your phone or tablet. If it's not that it's a fault with the nexus unit. In the instructions theres a section on updating its software, I'll look in mine to find out where if you need but I'd be amazed if correcting the encoder setting doesnt solve it.

An alignment won't fix it, I just wondered whether it was working correctly first as I had a bug like that once.

The altitude should be set to -10000 but I'm sure you need to reboot Sky safari for the change to be recognised. To be doubly sure reboot your phone or tablet. If it's not that it's a fault with the nexus unit. In the instructions theres a section on updating its software, I'll look in mine to find out where if you need but I'd be amazed if correcting the encoder setting doesnt solve it.

Many thanks Richard, will give that a go and report back

just looking at mine now stu, azm is -10000 and alt is + 10000. as richard says you have to reboot. also some times you might notice the screen will flicker around but once aligned it will be perfect. it stays totally accurate all night as well. ask dan k, swampthing (steve) and calv (stoke boy) they will say how good it is

just looking at mine now stu, azm is -10000 and alt is + 10000. as richard says you have to reboot. also some times you might notice the screen will flicker around but once aligned it will be perfect. it stays totally accurate all night as well. ask dan k, swampthing (steve) and calv (stoke boy) they will say how good it is

Lol mines the other way round azm +10000 alt -10000. I've just received a later model though that had a different IP address so maybe that's why :)

Lol mines the other way round azm +10000 alt -10000. I've just received a later model though that had a different IP address so maybe that's why :)

I guess it depends exactly how the encoders are mounted? If they are different on the new models then that may explain it?

My encoder part number seems to imply it is a 2500 step encoder, could that be correct?

I guess it depends exactly how the encoders are mounted? If they are different on the new models then that may explain it?

My encoder part number seems to imply it is a 2500 step encoder, could that be correct?

Could be I suppose but I think the nexus is designed for 10000 step encoders, the same as Argo Navis. Mine are these ones, http://www.usdigital.com/products/s6

Im not sure how using 2500 step ones would affect it, accuracy?

Mine are the same on both the OO and the Canopus so yours should be fine. I'm going to email Serge at Astro Devices to ask him about the counts, he only supplied me a pair last month.

Ps

Just been thinking about it, they're quadrature encoders, maybe that means they're 4 steps per count? I'll see what he says and let you know.

Mine are the same on both the OO and the Canopus so yours should be fine. I'm going to email Serge at Astro Devices to ask him about the counts, he only supplied me a pair last month.

Ps

Just been thinking about it, they're quadrature encoders, maybe that means they're 4 steps per count? I'll see what he says and let you know.

Thanks very much Richard, appreciated!

Ps

That is exactly right!

2500 is CPR, counts per revolution. S6 encoders have a quadrature output: there are two signals that have a 90 degrees phase shift. Each of the output generates 2500 impulses per revolution. DSCs read the state of each output and count both rising edges and falling edges of the each signal thus registering 5000 changes per rotation for each output. Because the two outputs have a 90 degrees phase shift that gives us 5000 x 2 = 10000 steps per revolution.

The following webpage provides a more detailed description if interested: http://www.dynapar.com/Technology/Encoder_Basics/Quadrature_Encoders/

Best Regards,

Serge.

Many thanks Serge. Do you have any information or explanation why I am getting the reversed alt movement? I will try the suggestions already given but if you have any further insight that would be great

Great scope you have there Stu although I was already :Envy::Envy: at the VX10L.

Will you be bringing it along to SGL10?

Hi Nick,

My issue is space. I think John may club me over the head with his Istar if I don't bring the Vixen, but that takes a lot of space. If I can fit both in, plus some solar options I will do. Decisions, decisions!!

Stu

Archived