NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing Meet - Feb. 20th

L8-Nite

Hi Folks,

We had a good turnout for our first meet of the year, and hopefully this month will be even better.

The next Observing Session at Blaenavon is set for Friday February 20th,

with Saturday the 21st as a possible alternate.

Please check the " Schedule: " thread for details and observing site location.

Clear skies to us all !

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And that's my weekend away in Stratford, just not happening for me at all this year.

Steve, if you were in school, I'd have you write .......... " Observing with the South Wales Group is my first priority. "  100 times on the blackboard.  :grin:  

I'm determined to get out Mike - gonna look for a short notice mid week jaunt up to Brecon or Epynt I think before I've missed the entire season - and how cruel is it that the damn moon is flooding the skies at the moment as their icey cold and clear - at least it looks like we'll have a few more in the next week or so as the high pressure stays in charge so perhaps a chance yet

Yeah Steve, the Moon will be a waning crescent in about a fortnight, not perfect, but still dark enough to be worth the effort.

Midweek (Feb 11th) might be a good time see what the projected weather for the 14th looks like, and possibly post a short notice observing session.

I mention Saturday, as Friday the 13th   :eek:  may have a negative influence on travel for some.   

I know for a good spot up on gelligaer common for a short notice meet? esp for mid week me and mike are going to have a look one afternoon/evening

I mention this because it may be ideal for short notice meets, I know Steve you have concerns about lights from gelligaer quarry they are no longer switched on, glow from Merthyr cant be seen, the only lights from this position you can see are from western super-mare but they can be seen from Blaenavon, its close to members like your self I know they are also considering Treffil nr Tredegar but that is up in the old quarry rd and its rough as old dogs so maybe a access issue for some cars and its part of it is on National Park footpaths and they may not like it.

I,m pretty sure the quarry up Trefil is now closed off (locked gate) I was birdwatching there last year and one day when I went up the gate was locked with a council notice on it. I havnt been up since and really hope I am wrong so if any one does know for sure I would be gratefull. Hope to come to one of your meets as I am pretty local (Merthyr)

I,m pretty sure the quarry up Trefil is now closed off (locked gate) I was birdwatching there last year and one day when I went up the gate was locked with a council notice on it. I havnt been up since and really hope I am wrong so if any one does know for sure I would be gratefull. Hope to come to one of your meets as I am pretty local (Merthyr)

I will pop up there today and check :cool:

Ok I have been up Trefil and there is a barrier just North of the village I have taken photo's

post-31880-0-90825000-1423220592_thumb.j

post-31880-0-51429200-1423220501_thumb.j

The next two photo's are of the Bedlinog location  the parking area is enough room for about 5 vehicles, the area where my car is a enough room for about 10 cars this about 20mtrs from the first area.

post-31880-0-30135100-1423220696_thumb.j

post-31880-0-16342600-1423220782_thumb.j

I hope this helps.

just caught up with this thread- well done David - not quite sure where you are in relation to Gelligaer Mountain but I'll check it- its a lot closer than Brecon for me and handy for a mid week meet when I have to be up at 6am for work - nice one

Still gotta find my way to Usk Reservoir as well - not checked that out so far.

Archived