NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finder Scope - Red Dot any good?

hi everyone,

just a quick question, are red dot non magnification finder scopes easier to use than the standard 9x50 Finderscope you find on the Skyliner 250px?

i am finding this finder scope a tad troublesome and am thinking of chaning it to a red dot finder which so i'm told is a better option to go with?

any thoughts much appreciated!!

Cheers

I use an RDF and prefer it to finder scopes. I'm embarrassed to admit that I normally use GOTO from my planetarium program, so it only gets used when I'm setting up and doing the initial alignments.

I found the narrow FOV of the finder scopes didn't help too much - I could use a low power eyepiece and achieve the same. I also found them awkward to look through, so I tried a right angled one, which is better, but still not as easy to use as the RDF.

Its probably down to personal preference, but I vote for an RDF.

Mike

My life changed as a result of a red dot finder! It sounds rather dramatic, but actually its true! I had just about given up on astronomy because I couldn't find anything, but then bought a red dot finder and started to find things, and its become rather obsessional since (well, so my husband says :rolleyes:).

Helen

I think, if you want to replace the general "level" of a 9x50 finder, it's worthwhile investing is something a bit above the base level RDF. I have found that my new Baader Skysurfer V (From e.g. FLO) does MOST of the job of a RACI 9x50 finder with the advantages mentioned above. Having lined things up, I can even (with a bit of care) find objects in a TFoV (typ) at 100-200x. Comes with a wide VARIETY of tube/shoe fittings too. :rolleyes:

right well i think thats probably made my mind up really..

can anyone recommend a Red Dot scope that will fit ok on my 250px Skyliner?

Cheers

Well I've got a Skyliner 200P and I've put a Baader Skysurfer III RDF on it and it works very well. FLO do them at what seems a bargain price to me:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=bskysurfer3

The Skysurfer III has a larger lens than some RDF's and it's better coated - which means you can see fainter stars through it I've found.

Then there is also the "Rolls Royce" of RDF's - the Baader Skysurfer V if you want something really nice !.

John

Hmmm, I'm going to go against the grain here... :rolleyes:

I get much more value from an optical finder than an RDF. However, this is mainly due to my local sky condition (London). When all that is visible are main constellation stars, with the rest choked out by light pollution, optical assistance is necessary to see enough stars to find my way. I do concede that under black skies, this would not be such a factor.

So, I humbly suggest considering this factor when choosing.

My 4SE came with a red dot fiddler and I hated it from day one. Found it very awkward to use and cricked my poor old back something awful. It was replaced with a green laser - BLISS!! I now align the scope´s GOTO standing up straight and relaxed, and it is dead-on.

Later this year I intend to get a short focus refractor (not GOTO), and that will have a right angled 9X50. No more horrid red dots for me.

There's nothing wrong with having both. Get a RDF like a Telrad or Quik Point, use it to find the approximate location, then use the 9x50 to center what you're looking for. Most of the brighter DSO's can be seen directly in the finder, it's just a question of mentally reversing the mirror image view. You'll soon get used to that, which will come in handy when the batteries in your RDF run out (or is it only me who forgets to turn them off when packing up?!)

Regards, Dave

...having said that, i am in Bristol and use the "Rolls Royce" Baader V and it is a joy.

Cheered me up no end too (On a dull bank holiday w/e) - That I might have a "Rolls Royce" [of] anything... :)

The remarks re. "light gathering" stand to reason though - As does the idea of using BOTH! It's fair 'nuff observation that a LOT of RDF's have rather "inpenetrable" reflective coatings. The above (R/R!) seems a notable exception. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, I'm going to go against the grain here... :rolleyes:

I get much more value from an optical finder than an RDF. However, this is mainly due to my local sky condition (London). When all that is visible are main constellation stars, with the rest choked out by light pollution, optical assistance is necessary to see enough stars to find my way. I do concede that under black skies, this would not be such a factor.

So, I humbly suggest considering this factor when choosing.

Have to agree, i tried a red dot finder here in Harrow, North West London and it was useless, i couldn't see anything. When i move to slightly darker skies i will get a red dot finder, but for now i need to the 7x50mm finderscope.

Yes, same here in Connah's Quay, North Wales. Light Polluted skies means I don't get the best out of my RDF. I tend to use the 8x50 optical finder scope.

(I have just bought a 5x30 Right angled finder scope - havn't had the clear skies (or nights that aren't freezing cold) to try it out yet, but I'm hoping this will save a bit of back ache!).

Is "GO-TO" the perfect solution for finding things?

regards,

philsail1

hi everyone,

just a quick question, are red dot non magnification finder scopes easier to use than the standard 9x50 Finderscope you find on the Skyliner 250px?

i am finding this finder scope a tad troublesome and am thinking of chaning it to a red dot finder which so i'm told is a better option to go with?

any thoughts much appreciated!!

Cheers

I use both the so called red dot -finders and the ones that have two or more red circles. Bot types are non-enlarging type. From my experience I prefer them wastly over the more tarditional type of optical finders. One of the key poits is the ability to use them with your both eyes open. That way one can see both the target and the spot/circle just with one glimpse. Very easy and parcatical.

I use a RDF on my refractor, as I am usually looking at brighter objects with it. On my reflector, I have both a RDF and a Right Angle 7x50 finder. I use the RDF for bright objects, or to put myself in about the right position, using brighter stars (my back yard is terribly LP) and use the optical finder to close in on my target. The combination works well.

That's a good idea "Warthog (Bruce Willis lookalike!).

I have just bought off a colleague, a small 6x30 right angled finderscope, and already have the standard Red Dot "fiddler" (as someone else has called it!) so I'll try using both to find things.

I was wondering whether the 40mm "Super Sky Surfer" would make much difference?

Regards,

philsail1

Archived