Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik 414EX - moisture control

orly_andico

I am seriously thinking of buying the new Atik 414EXM.  The high QE and relatively lower price is very attractive for narrowband.  Sure I'd like a bigger sensor, but my budget won't let me.

I used to have a QHY8, because the dew point here in Singapore is 1-2 degrees below ambient, I had to seal the camera inside a large bag filled with silica gel.  By doing this scrupulously, I could eliminate frost on the sensor.

My current camera is an ST8300M (the non-STF).  This camera suffers from a very poor design in that it does not have a dessicant plug like the previous ST2000 and later STF8300 have.  Hence after I started seeing frost/moisture on the sensor, I have to dis-assemble the camera and put in new dessicant.  And not any dessicant will do, it has to be molecular sieve (I had to buy two cans from Sigma Aldrich).

My question is around moisture control.  How do these Atik bodies handle it?

Hmm of the cameras I have the 383L has tablets that can be recharged in the oven, the 414EX has a desiccant plug so I assume these have the same format. IIRC the 4000 and other older cameras have a 'lifetime' plug that is in the camera. I've not had a problem with my 16IC, the Titan, the 11000 or 4000 that I've used.

Archived