NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturns rings are disapearing

timetraveller

hi guys

Have you noticed anything strange about Saturn and its rings? NO well apparently its rings appear to be disappearing its apparently true.It is to do with a phenomenon called ring plane crossing. It basically means that eventually it wont be possible to see the rings with a small telescope if you would like to know more http://science.NASA.gov/Astronomy.htmn read the info at this web site :saturn: :wave: :rolleyes:

It's a case of now you see them , now you don't :rolleyes:

They will be back, from our point of view in a few years time, as they have always done in the past, and will do in the future :lol: Part of the joy of astronomy, things change :)

naz

I'm very surprised at the way that that article has been written.

"Amateur astronomers have noticed that...." it make it out to be unexpected and "if it carries on they could disappear" is a tad over the top.

It could have been worded so much better.

Ant

It must have been written with the mass media market in mind - rather than directed at people who understand what's going on. It is a little misleading in it's tone though.

Jmho, Tony Phillips' writing style is a bit sensationalistic at times, but he's basically good people. :rolleyes: If you want to send him some feedback on the article, don't be shy.. just contact him via the name-link at the bottom of the page. :)

I receive articles on many astronomy subjects from time to time, and Tony Phillips is generally the author. There is usually the option to listen to the audio version which is voiced by him also. I invariably choose to listen rather than read his articles, as I can close my eyes, and picture

the event as he relates it.

Ron.

Archived