Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eq5 Synscan and autoguiding question

Usually the search button solves all my problems but this time I need some help from you guys!

I have got myself a QHY5 slotted into my 9x50 finderscope. Getting the thing to guide I can sort out myself after reading many tutorials, but using eqmod/stellarium etc for the GOTO slew looks very complicated. Is there a way I can align the mount/goto my target with the hand controller then use the QHY5 to then guide from a star?

I have the QHY5 plugged straight into the mount, and pc. then the handset plugged into the pc via rs232 to usb converter. To get autoguiding I have to put the handset into direct pc mode to calibrate and guide... but as soon as i do that, will the mount stop tracking the object and ill have to find it all over again manually? Im so confused with all this and really need a simple (ish) solution as I get to use my scope about once every month or 2, and at this rate it will be years before I figure it all out! Tonight ill be taking the scope to a dark site and crossing my fingers! 

Thanks.

Chris

I have EQMOD/ASCOM installed and PHD. Usually I just control everything via the hand controller before I got my guide camera, but I got fed up of 30 sec subs.

In what way would you suggest I run everything? I just want to be able to goto a target, track it and image it!

Earl, Id love to be able to set it all up and play with it at home, but I dont have a garden.

Tinker, thanks very much, im downloading the software right now and ill have a play with it.

Here are my results from last night, didnt have enough time to mess around with the qhy5... getting more and more dissapointed with my pictures as its such an effort to lug all my equipment from place to place just to get 30 sec subs then stretching the hell out of them to get any detail. This hobby is actually going to make me move house!

post-4457-0-22575200-1422190692_thumb.jp

post-4457-0-24806800-1422190737_thumb.jp

Usually the search button solves all my problems but this time I need some help from you guys!

I have got myself a QHY5 slotted into my 9x50 finderscope. Getting the thing to guide I can sort out myself after reading many tutorials, but using eqmod/stellarium etc for the GOTO slew looks very complicated. Is there a way I can align the mount/goto my target with the hand controller then use the QHY5 to then guide from a star?

I have the QHY5 plugged straight into the mount, and pc. then the handset plugged into the pc via rs232 to usb converter. To get autoguiding I have to put the handset into direct pc mode to calibrate and guide... but as soon as i do that, will the mount stop tracking the object and ill have to find it all over again manually? Im so confused with all this and really need a simple (ish) solution as I get to use my scope about once every month or 2, and at this rate it will be years before I figure it all out! Tonight ill be taking the scope to a dark site and crossing my fingers! 

Thanks.

Chris

Hi Chris,

What is it exactly that u want to do, it seems that you have it all sorted?

A.G

OK If I follow your requirement correctly then:

1. As stated above get Cartes du Ciel

2. Connect it to EQMOD (correct date & location settings and scope in start position)

3. Use CdC find option for your target

4. Use the CdC button to slew to that target

5. Check the scope is pointing at that target visually

If OK then press the CdC sync button

If not release your clutches align target and re-engage clutches, then hit sync button **

6. Turn on guiding

7. Image as required.

** Note if you release clutches and manually align you are putting the scope where eqmod thinks it is pointing, then the sync button let's CdC and Eqmod agree to that.

Obviously the better your polar alignment, and accurate positioning at start will make all work better but the above is for a mobile setup not a fixed pier :lipsrsealed: and don't expect 5 hour subs!

** Note if you release clutches and manually align you are putting the scope where eqmod thinks it is pointing, then the sync button let's CdC and Eqmod agree to that.

You can only do that trick on the very first alignment point. Move the mount manually at any other time and things will get messed up.

Chris

Archived