Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New User....Sky-Watcher Explorer-150P (EQ3-2) Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope

Hi everyone.

After much nagging, my girlfriend bought me a telescope for Christmas. It's the first one I have owned so stargazing is relatively new to me.

It came with a 2x Barlow, 25mm lens and 10 mm lens.

I have been able to get some great views of the moon and when I can I want to try to get some good views of the planets.

I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, can anyone recommend some lenses suitable for planetary viewing.

Secondly, does anyone have a 2.5mm lens and if so which one would you recommend for moon viewing?

Finally, to attach a Canon 1200 dslr camera to the scope, what attachments would I need?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. I'm looking forward to learning more about stargazing from you guys

Attach Canon; unscrew supplied T2 adapter from 1.25" EP connector and then add it to an EOS to T2 adapter not supplied (ebay, amazon etc). Reattach to telescope focuser tube.

For the Moon you can 'get away' with such a high magnification on occasion but I wouldn't spend money on such a dedicated hardly useable EP.

For my 150P I bought a 6mm EP (see signature) pricey, but great on planets. Rule of thumb min mm = f ratio of telescope, thus f5 = 5mm (only a basic rule though, as seeing conditions LP etc affect everything). Although the 6mm will work with the barlow on the Moon.

The Canon will affect your telescope balance and thus you will need to rebalance. No biggy. Invest in a remote shutter release if you don't have one, it helps to cut down camera shake. Focusing can be 'fun' on full M mode, as I'm discovering. ;)

Congrat's on a great first telescope and welcome to the place to be for all things Astronomy.

You're in for a load of fun and some great views, I have the same scope and mount and have enjoyed the experience.

As for EPs, try and get to a club night or similar and beg the use of a few to see what does it for you. It is very difficult to recommend EPs as we all have different expectations, budgets and eyes.

FWIW I have upgraded to Celestron XL-LXs which I have been happy with.

Forget a 2.5mm, the least I would suggest is a barlowed 8mm.

And that is because there are few good 4mm eyepieces around, there seems a bit of a hole at that focal length.

Good eyepieces depends on the budget per eyepiece you are content to spend, sort of £35 to £350 each is easy.

To attach a DSLR you need a T-ring for the camera make, however attaching does not mean that you will get an image. Usually there is insufficent inward movement to enable the camera sensor to be where the scope focal plane is. The usual result being tha the mirror has to be moved up the tube so that the focal plane is moved further outwards.

Thank you all for taking the time to give some great advice.

Perhaps I am too keen to go for the lower mm lenses. I'll take your advice and look at 6mm and 8mm lenses.

I hadn't thought to look for a club night. There are some not far from me so I'll definitely look those up. I'm sure I can learn a lot first hand from more experienced locals.

Appreciate your advice.

Hi. In my opinion 2.5mm eyepiece will be too much for a 150mm dia primary mirror. Before buying, please check the maximum workable magnification on your scope. Typically this can be calculated by multiplying your primary aperture (in inches) by 50. But this formula would work only if you are located in a very very dark location and the seeing conditions (smog, pollution, turbulence) are 100% perfect. If not, then calculate the maximum workable magnification by multiplying the primary aperture (in inches) by 25 or 30.

Secondly, high magnification will also magnify the dust, smog in the atmosphere. Better would be to drive to a really dark and pollution free location.....and my friend, your 25mm and 10mm eyepieces will show you the heavens !!! Dont forget to collimate your scope to perfection. 

Collimation, Dark skies, Low pollution = perfect viewing (with 25mm and 10mm). You may use a 2x barlow though.

Archived