Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light Problems with Lunt60

The big box arrived today :smile:. Anyway, got my new Lunt LS60THa/B1200CPT with the Lunt zoom eyepiece set up on a camera tripod (not ideal but OK for checking things out) and as the sun was still shining I took the scope out to see what I could see. Well I have to admit to being a little disappointed :sad2:, because I expected to see a red disk whose edges I would be able to sharpen up before fiddling with the tuner. But it was having none of it, I just couldn't get a clear image of the disc, and no matter what I did with the focuser/draw tube it seemed to stay a blurry mess, with internal reflections. Certainly nothing like  the images on the Lunt website.  And it's clouded over now. The only things that appeared relatively sharp were the floaters in my eye! Now I admit that this is the first serious scope that I've owned, even so I've used a spotting scope and binos, not to mention cameras, so I have some experience with optical instruments.

Am I doing something wrong, are my expectations too high, is that what one gets when the seeing conditions rubbish, or is there something wrong with the 'scope?

Any input would be appreciated.

PS. Got some un-boxing photos, but until I've got this sorted I'll keep those in abeyance.

l don't think your expectations are too high l got the 50mm in December and l get some great views, really sharp a lot of surface detail sun spots are really black l can see a lot of filaments and if there near the edge they seem to stand out almost 3d like prommenences are a deep red orange against a black sky. The only thing l would say l had mine out this morning and it was good for half an hour then some thin cloud rolled in and spoiled it. it still looked fairly sunny but those thin cloud were enough to spoil the seeing.  

Indeed that is what I was expecting, but I was having difficulty getting a good view of the disk so as to be able to focus. I was using the zoom at the longest fl.

One other thing that concerns me is that when I first released the pressure in the tuner, not only was there a "slurp" of air but also a faint "ping", so I'm hoping that wasn't something catestrophic!

The instructions aren't very clear, it says "screw the adjuster in slowly until it gets the best spot" but I had to screw it practically all the way in after spending an hour screwing in a bit at a time.

Silly question but are you sure you had the Sun in the view you can get several false reflections that appear to be the Sun but they won't focus, you'll know when you have the "real" one as it's really bright.

You  need to slide the focus tube out about 35mm

Dave

Floaters disappear when it's in focus

The instructions aren't very clear, it says "screw the adjuster in slowly until it gets the best spot" but I had to screw it practically all the way in after spending an hour screwing in a bit at a time.

Silly question but are you sure you had the Sun in the view you can get several false reflections that appear to be the Sun but they won't focus, you'll know when you have the "real" one as it's really bright.

You  need to slide the focus tube out about 35mm

Dave

Floaters disappear when it's in focus

Thanks Davey-T, that's another question answered! I did wonder how far I'd have to go with the tuner, especially as it gets quite hard to turn when well in. But may be each scope is individual.

I suppose I can't be sure the sun was in view, may be that was the problem. The sol searcher was more or less lined up, but of course that was straight out of the box so I'd not done any alignment. I wouldn't say that the image was "really bright", but not dim either!

Guess I'll have to wait until we get another fine day. Sigh!

You need to get the Sun in the eyepiece and then adjust the Sol Searcher.

It's amazing how hard it can be to find that big yellow ball in the sky, you'd think it would be easy :)

Dave

I've got about 10mm of brass thread showing on mine, don't think it alters much across the country, unless you take it up Ben Nevis :)

That is my thinking too.

Have you found and used the drawtube extender? (It looks like an over-long diagonal nosepiece). 

Steve 

If by that Steve you mean the long tube sticking out of the front of the diagonal, yes I've withdrawn that. In fact, I tried moving in and out to see if I could find focus. The (meagre) Lunt instructions advise pulling that out about 25mm, and the focuser about half way out, to start with.

Ian

You need to get the Sun in the eyepiece and then adjust the Sol Searcher.

It's amazing how hard it can be to find that big yellow ball in the sky, you'd think it would be easy :)

Dave

True, but now I'm doubting whether the sun was truly in view, as as you previously suggested, and of course if that was the case then I'd be adjusting on the wrong thing!

The only easy thing about observing the Sun is staying awake. :grin: Everything will soon fall into place, lots to look forward to. :smiley:  

Well that's why I've opted for solar observing rather than planetary or stellar, wonderful though the heavens are :icon_biggrin:. Better to be out in the sunshine than falling asleep on the settee!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: All sorted, a great relief.

I was expecting to have to wait until tomorrow for some sun, according to the weather forecast of a few days ago, but after a frosty night the sun was shining brightly this morning, albeit through a bit of thin cloud. It was purgatory waiting for the sun to get high enough, but I set up in the lounge and viewed through the window (!). Managed to see that orange ball of fire with a couple of spots and prominences around the rim. Dave-T I think you were probably correct, I must have been looking at spurious reflections, certainly the views then had all the hallmarks of that.

My new mount arrived early this morning, now I've got to get everything set up properly, after I've done a bit of plumbing in the house :sad2:

Ian

Hi Ian,

Glad you are getting the experience you hoped for :)

I would be interested in your feelings about the Lunt 60 when you get some observing time as it was something on my list having the same limited (none in my case) solar experience as you had before you purchased.

Regards

Dannae

Archived