NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

RS232 EQDIR cable for AZ-EQ6 mount

frugal

Does anyone know where to get a cable for the AZ-EQ6 skywatcher mount that has a standard serial cable port on one end and the requisite RJ45 on the other? I can find loads of places that will sell me one with a USB end, but nowhere that will sell one with a Serial port.

I would rather use RS232 than USB simply because my antique Toughbook only has 2 USB ports, but it does have a good old fashioned RS232 port. I am already using the 2 USB ports for the guide and imaging camera, and I would rather not need to add a USB hub as they seem to cause all kinds of problems.

I can find generic RJ45 to RS232 cables on Amazon, but I have no idea if they are wired in a way that will work with (or more worryingly, fry) the mount.

If no-one makes an appropriate cable, would I be OK to use an RS232 to USB adapter like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-com-Serial-RS232-Adapter-Retention/dp/B004ZMYTYC to convert it to RS232?

I know that I could make one, but I would rather spend £30 buying the appropriate cable than have my ham fisted soldering ruin £1300 of mount ;)

Check out  Shoe string astronomy they have all the interface cables you need.

Dave

I have already had a look at his web site and it looks like I would need to by the EQDIR interface module and a separate RS232 to RJ45 cable. Including delivery that would be $75 (£49). Which would be the same as the straight through adaptor I originally mentioned plus a HitechAstro USB EQDIR adaptor from FLO. What are the advantages of the Shoestring version?

Does anyone know where to get a cable for the AZ-EQ6 skywatcher mount that has a standard serial cable port on one end and the requisite RJ45 on the other? I can find loads of places that will sell me one with a USB end, but nowhere that will sell one with a Serial port.

I would rather use RS232 than USB simply because my antique Toughbook only has 2 USB ports, but it does have a good old fashioned RS232 port. I am already using the 2 USB ports for the guide and imaging camera, and I would rather not need to add a USB hub as they seem to cause all kinds of problems.

I can find generic RJ45 to RS232 cables on Amazon, but I have no idea if they are wired in a way that will work with (or more worryingly, fry) the mount.

If no-one makes an appropriate cable, would I be OK to use an RS232 to USB adapter like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-com-Serial-RS232-Adapter-Retention/dp/B004ZMYTYC to convert it to RS232?

I know that I could make one, but I would rather spend £30 buying the appropriate cable than have my ham fisted soldering ruin £1300 of mount ;)

This is a (good old fashioned RS232 port) only seen them on PC. its not one that you use to run a screen. look the same?

The Panasonic Toughbooks have a 'proper' RS232 port as well as the second screen port (which does look similar).

Thank for that. but am I right in thinking this is just a phone lead that you can get the rs232 plug to put on one end. I got one in the shed will look later.

This is a (good old fashioned RS232 port) only seen them on PC. its not one that you use to run a screen. look the same?

Definitely a good old fashioned Serial port. Toughbooks are used mostly by the military and field engineers, both groups are typically 10-20 years behind the technology curve. The company I am working at currently just replaced all of the field engineers kit, Toughbooks only lost out because they were more expensive than the fisher price kit they ended up going with ;)

Thank for that. but am I right in thinking this is just a phone lead that you can get the rs232 plug to put on one end. I got one in the shed will look later.

Effectively it is a phone lead at one end and a serial lead on the other. The problem comes with the pin connections and the signals. You can buy an RS232 to RJ45 cable easily (they are mainly used to configure network routing gear). The problem is that I do not know if they are wired in the right way to talk to a telescope mount.

If you look on the eqmod project website you will find a circuit diagrams for the rs232 version of the eqdirect together with the RJ45 connection to the mount. The pin outs are entirely proprietary and are not what folks might assume to be standard serial - there is also 12V in there which can do some serious damage to mount and/or pc if you get it wrong.

Chris.

Try http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/mcc.htm#st4 I  see they do serial cables from PC com port to the handset, not sure if they do them direct to the mount though. But UK based and astro aware.

I have had a look on the Astronomiser web site, and they only do serial cables to the handset. I already have one of those that came with the mount for doing firmware upgrades, so I could use PC direct mode, but the EQMod web site has big warnings that the handset still has control and may override or delay any command from the PC.

To make matters worse, the HitechAstro USB to RJ45 EQDirect cable I ordered with the mount 9 months ago, and then "put somewhere safe" has reappeared this evening, (after I spent the past week looking for it and writing it off as lost). Bother, now I have 3 USB cables and only 2 USB ports... or do I blow £50 and get the Serial cable version and keep this one in case I ever upgrade the laptop to one with more USB ports...

You can buy the Shoestring EQDIR connectors and cable at http://www.opticstar.com/ which is in the UK.

Make sure you buy the correct cables, you don't want to kill your mount.

Miguel

Unfortunately they only stock the Bluetooth and USB varients. They do stock the straight through Serial to RJ45 cable and they mention that it needs the EQDIR box of tricks, but they do not actually sell the EDQIR itself, which is a bit odd.

Thank you to everyone for thier help this evening, even if the house gremlins have dictated that I go down a different route due to the mysterious reappearance of the cable I thought I had lost.

Archived