Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrozap Artificial Star

The Astrozap artificial star provides a dependable, steady and stable reference for precise star collimation. Its very bright 18,000mcd ultra-white led focused on a 100 micron precision laser drilled stainless steel aperture produces beautiful diffraction rings when defocused in any eyepiece.

zapstar.jpg

The placement of the star depends on the telescope. For an 8" SCT we recommend approximately 100 feet. The further away from the scope, the better, until you lose contrast in the eyepiece. Indoor use is a possibility though it is better to collimate the scope when it is in its usual position.

Can be mounted on a table or attached to a standard photo tripod.

Price : £65

(James and I will have one with us at Kelling, should anyone wish to use it)

Yes, the distances necessary for longer focal length scopes will be a problem for some. I guess it will be most useful to clubs and socities for loaning to thier members or, as James and I intend, at Star Parties.

Opticians sometimes use a conveniently placed mirror (reflecting the test chart) to effectively double the length of their room....

A useful device to have around, especially for Newtonians, that tend to need more regular collimation than SCTs.

I'd certainly buy one, but with a 12" SCT having a focal length of 3048mm, it would require quite a bit more than 100ft :afro:

Dave

mmm.... 'scope at one end of the back street and a funny looking device on a tripod at the other end. The local hoodies would be running off with it while I was collimating OR the neighbours would think I was up to no good and the police would be round in minutes. :afro:

If I had enough private space, I'd get one. I've not had chance to do a proper star test so an artificial star would be a great alternative.

Mmmmmm I could ask a neighbour I have two or three I could approach to have it in their garden I have a C11 that's 2800mm Focal Length excuse my maths what's the optimum distance for that Steve? I guess 140feet should be okay I may well get one of these off you just what size battery do they have? :afro:

You could always tie helium ballons to it and float it to the desired distance, now being on the manchester airport flight path I can see the headlines "Deranged Astronomer brings down packed jet"

Archived