Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What scope should I buy next?

Hi everyone.

I'm considering buying a better scope this year, I know there are many out there better than mine but I'm pretty confused tbh.

I currently have:

A basic Meade ds2090 refractor.

An autostar alt/az goto mount.

A converted Logitech quick pro 400 webcam.

A canon 5d with t-ring and t-adapter.

I also have 5 lenses, a couple of filters and a remote shutter release for the camera. I know it's basic stuff and I want to improve that kit too, gradually.

I'm mainly interested in imaging so I think an Equatorial mount is a must (I started a thread on converting my alt/az mount but, no info from there).

I'm wondering if a reflector would be the best type of scope to go for as they tend to gather more light for dso's but I also like trying to image planets! I've tried to read up on the subject but there isn't a definitive answer, it seems, and so I'm left at square one really!

I'm realistically looking at the bottom end of the market (up to £400 ish) so that makes it harder to pick one that will definitely improve my position.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated :)

Gary.

In you could push if a little I would consider a Sky Watcher ED80 Pro (£435). That will provide outstanding wide field views on DSO's and very good views on Lunar/Jupiter/Saturn etc. additionally it comes with all accessories less a mount of course.

The real bonus is if you ever lean toward Astro Imaging you have the perfect scope

Thanks, I looked at a few quickly and there are some just under £400 but not with a mount. I think it might fit in my current mount which would allow me to use the goto with tracking (possibly?) and I could look to get an Equatorial at a later date. I think the software I have is able to rotate the images so all wouldn't be lost.

I guess it boils down to what's more important: getting a new eq mount or a better quality scope. Ideally I'd have both but I think that's the deciding factor for me.

Gary.

Gary,

If your traveling down the expensive road towards AP you will definitely want an EQ Mount. However, without good optics what's the point in looking up!

My advice is get a good scope for your money and look at mount later. Don't go USED PRIVATE SALE on the OTA. It's a foolish leap of faith when dealing with ED Optics. Buy from a good dealer and if you have any dramas they can sort.

If I was going for an EQ mount I would try second hand on Astro Buy and Sell etc.

You might want to look at the Celestron AVX mount, a few on here are using them with good results, with regards the Skywatcher ED80 you can't go wrong with that scope and its matching reducer/field flattener

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I tried AP with a Alt Az GOTO mount on a wedge, to be honest you will be wasting your time. If your goal is AP then save some more and buy a mount such as the AVX or Skywatcher HEQ or NEQ and use your camera and lens mounted on that. You will get some good results then save for the ED80.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks Phil, I guess there isn't a shortcut with the mount then. I was hoping I'd be able to somehow disable one of the motors and use a wedge (which I figured might be less work for the mount to do) and it would work the same as a normal eq mount.

I'm not looking to buy just yet so I'll continue practising with what I've got and think it over while I save my pennies.

Thanks everyone for your input, it's all good food for thought. I'll let you all know when I make my mind up!

Gary.

Thanks Astro,

I will try to bide my time and buy the right kit, in the right order.

I have to say, for a basic scope, my Meade ds2090 has been a great introduction to astronomy and has taught me a few lessons in pros and cons. Unfortunately, I've outgrown, it and now I want it all but I can't afford to spend much very often.

I'll keep myself amused though, I want to make the cable to run it through a laptop and, against good advice, I'll give the wedge a go - I'm a carpenter and can't resist a little challenge! If it works it might mean I keep the mount a little longer :)

Gary.

I'll keep myself amused though, I want to make the cable to run it through a laptop and, against good advice, I'll give the wedge a go - I'm a carpenter and can't resist a little challenge! If it works it might mean I keep the mount a little longer :)

Gary.

Give it a go if it works great, if not you haven't lost a lot.

Hope it works out.

• 1 month later...

I said I'd let you know when I made my mind up, and I've discussed mounts a bit more in another thread. So here is the result!

I've bought a second hand celestron avx eq mount, I decided the eq5 synscan's payload limit might've restricted me in the future if I add guide scopes to a setup with a dslr or bigger scopes etc. and as long as it works ok, I'm very happy with that choice.

I'll be buying the skywatcher ed80 apo in a couple of weeks to give me a foundation for ap.

I'm already thinking about an auto guider (ssag perhaps?) but I'd need a guide scope as well - perhaps I could use the ds2090 short term.

I'm not really sure what to do after that at this point but I'm pretty excited about playing with the new toys when they arrive!

Again, many thanks to you all. Hopefully I'll be able to post some images on here soon for some critique!

Gary.

Funnily enough, I read that thread with genuine interest and it seems like the sw130 pds is an excellent scope for its price.

I'm hoping that the ed80 will deliver better results and therefore be more of a long term acquisition, although it is tempting considering the price!

Do you think the ed80 is good value for money? I know it's quite a bit more but as I said, I don't want to be changing the scope any time soon so it's my only chance to make the right choice!

I know most advice  is go for the refractor  but if budget is an issue  the 130pds makes more sense it.s small enough to fit on a eq5 and still get some product  have you factored in the cost of a flattener reducer for the ed80 or coma corrector for the 130pds you will need them. if you are looking for a cheap mount to put either the 130 or ed80 the eq5 synscan or celestron cg5gt are mounts that can just about take those scopes for imaging. not perfect imaging mounts but looking at some of the pics produced they can produce reasonable product with a little extra work. The cg5gt is a slightly better mount but the eq5 will take the  free eqmod software suite which you may find useful. The cg5gt can be picked up for as low as £250 second hand sometimes.

It's definitely food for thought, especially as I paid a bit more than I had intended on the avx goto mount (should arrive this week sometime). And if I go for the 130 pds, I could have it sooner than the ed80 which would be a bonus. I just wonder how soon I will want to upgrade and if I'll regret buying a cheaper scope when I could have put the cash towards the ed80.

I have factored in the cost of the reducer/flattener, although I won't be able to buy it at the same time - perhaps in 6 months I'll have that.

I might trawl through some examples of imaging through both scopes. I'm predominantly interested in nebulae, so that will be a big factor for me [emoji4]

The search continues!

I can't comment on the ed80 as I haven't owned one.

Uranium235 has produced some amazing images with this scope. He has used both so hopefully he will pop in and put in his opinion.

Just because it is cheaper then the ed80 doesn't mean it is worse. It will produce better images of the planet's, moon and smaller dso's/galaxies than the ed80 due to its larger aperture.

It is faster out of the box (being F5) but will need a coma corrector Which is an additional cost, the Ed80 will need a flattener/reducer.

The 130pds will need to be collimated regularily but once you get used to it, it doesn't take very long.

The Ed80 will give a wider fov so if you know the camera you will be using have a look at a fov calculator on a few targets that you may want to image so you can see the difference.

It's also worth noting that the reflector will have diffraction spikes on bright stars, if this doesn't appeal to you then the Ed80 would be a better choice.

I tried to decide between the two last June and it was very close. In the end I chose the 130pds and don't regret it.The Ed80 comes highly recommend and the 130pds doesn't have that sort of history, but it is producing some beautiful images.

Based on my own research, whether you chose the 130pds and have some money left over or buy the Ed80, I'm sure that you would be happy with your choice And that's what is important

Gary,

If your traveling down the expensive road towards AP you will definitely want an EQ Mount. However, without good optics what's the point in looking up!

My advice is get a good scope for your money and look at mount later. Don't go USED PRIVATE SALE on the OTA. It's a foolish leap of faith when dealing with ED Optics. Buy from a good dealer and if you have any dramas they can sort.

If I was going for an EQ mount I would try second hand on Astro Buy and Sell etc.

All I can say, is the seeming consensus of experienced imagers is that It's MOUNT first, then scope. An over loaded, underqualified mount will do much worse at imaging than mediocre optics on a solid and capable mount. Get the foundation first, then build the house.

After some deliberation I did go for the mount first (avx) and I'm planning to build a permanent pier in my garden to give it the best possible foundation. I'm hoping that will reduce the amount of time spent aligning each time I go outside!

I still have much to learn but I'm am learning!

I've placed my order for the ed80 apo, woohoo! It should arrive tomorrow!! [emoji2]

Now all I've got to do is learn how to use it all properly! Oh, and find a place to take it all to that is better than my back garden!

Archived