Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi folks

I am very happy! :D 

Tonight I have seen Comet Lovejoy! :D :D :D

I could just, only just, make it out with the naked-eye using averted vision, but with my 10x50 bins it was a fine sight!  A large coma, a hint of a tail, and a subtle hint of green shading ....  This is the first comet I've ever seen so clearly (as a starry-eyed teenager I did catch a glimpse of Halley's Comet)!  I'm really looking forward to more views of Lovejoy as it continuous to brighten :D

Along with lovely views of the Pleiades, the Hyades, the Orion Nebula, the Double Cluster, and winter star fields .....  An evening to remember! :D

Clear skies to all!

Donaldo

Congratulations Donaldo ! :smiley:

I think I saw it , was it a green ish fuzzy blob like this ?
90C3292B-F283-4B3C-A553-E220F6959EFC.png

Yes, thats it.

I didn't notice a green tinge personally though, with my eye, binoculars or my scope.

Congratulations Donaldo ! :smiley:

Yes, thats it.

I didn't notice a green tinge personally though, with my eye, binoculars or my scope.

I took some pictures last night with my compact camera and though the comet is on there, it doesn't have a green tinge at all and I didn't recognize it. In a later shot from my DSLR there's a distinct green tinge though. Sadly, I haven't seen it with my eyes yet.

...  This is the first comet I've ever seen so clearly (as a starry-eyed teenager I did catch a glimpse of Halley's Comet)! 

Well done! I waited what seemed like half a lifetime to see Halley, expecting wonderful things, and in the event I saw nothing at all. And to this day I still remember the massive disappointment of fruitlessly scanning the night skies for Kohoutek in - what was it - 1974 or thereabouts? By the time Hale-Bopp came along I had reached such a level of cynicism about comets that I nearly didn't bother looking. But that, in the event, was a lovely comet, so all was forgiven. And thankfully Lovejoy was, I think, never predicted to be on the scale of those others, so frankly any view at all has been a bonus as far as I am concerned.  :smiley:

You're doing much better than me, Donaldo, to say you can see it naked eye! I must have pretty bad LP here as most have reported it as seen without instruments now. I haven't seen it for a few days due to weather and keen for another look through the bins!

Great comet event! Enjoy :)

Archived