Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power Supply for Indoor&Outdoor with AZ-EQ6

graemlourens

Hi guys.

I decided on going for the AZ-EQ6 and can't wait that beautiful chunk of metal arriving next tuesday :)

Still not got any power supply yet, as searching forums was inconclusive.

Outdoor use:

Will obviously need power tank. FLO suggests car jumpstarters with cig outlet and at least 17A.

For then also connecting other supplies like CCD/Dew heaters, will that be sufficient?

Indoor use:

For testing setup, Software and so on i will obviously also be using the scope indoors just for testing reasons, would i then just use the jumpstarter or is there a reasonnably affordable power connector for normal electricity plug that you would advise?

The jumpstart battery pack also has a cool feature that i can jumpstart the car if my battery dies one day :)

Regards, Graem

(sry i can not edit my posts yet :) )

I know that leisure batteries would be better than jumpstart batteries, as they provide a flatter decharge curve.

But am i right seeing that there is not really a 'product' for astronomy that you can buy as is? It seems i would have to put various products together, battery, flow converter and so on?

Hi Starlight.

Yes correct, alone in this forum i have read around 18 threads about powersupply for eq6/az-eq6 and the verdict is clear, jumpstarterbatterie's life is short, but if you want a really good battery setup you'll have to put together the components yourself. 

As i'm not very versed in electronics i wanted to see if maybe in the meanwhile there has been a astronomy supplier that has a suitable battery, or a confirmation that if you do not have an excess of compontents, and you recharge the jumpstarter battery after every use, it will last you around 1 year. Thats what i am trying to find out i guess.

Regards, Graem

(sry i can not edit my posts yet :) )

I know that leisure batteries would be better than jumpstart batteries, as they provide a flatter decharge curve.

But am i right seeing that there is not really a 'product' for astronomy that you can buy as is? It seems i would have to put various products together, battery, flow converter and so on?

you can use a leisure battery 'as is' with just a cable to connect to a cigarette socket, e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Charger-Outlet-Direct-to-Battery-HardWire-Cable-/380368126718?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccessories_MobilePhoneChargers&hash=item588fb502fe

which is what I'm using with my HEQ5 at the moment, no problems so far, 12v battery in a plastic tool box & a decent battery charger.  I'm planning to make it more complicated in the future with various off the shelf circuits (from ebay) and components (e.g. panel mounted 12v sockets) but it's not really necessary IMO.

Hi Joseki.

Thx for your feedback. so then it's more simple than i thought, i was wondering if there is some kind of converter still required in the middle or if the battery output is ok for the mount directly.

So i guess this matter is solved :) thx a lot and sorry if posting a similar topic.

Kind regards, Graem

A little tip especially if you are thinking of connecting dew heaters.

use 2 separate lower ah batteries. firstly they are substantially lighter and secondly there is nothing worse than your power to your mount being drained by the peripherals and your observing (or imaging) session being cut short. the mount is also very fussy about power levels and it affects the accuracy of the go to when these issues occur.

I use 2 x 40 ah ex wheelchair batteries.

putting them in a cheap cool box helps maintain battery life when it is freezing outside as they are insulated from contact with the ground (and damp air) and it encloses the annoying lights that are on most sockets.

for mains supply you could get one of these and connect all items

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/maplins-xm21x-7a-138v-regulated-mains-power-supply.html

or for powering mount only one of these

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/baader-outdoor-telescope-power-supply-12v-5a.html

The Mount requires this take from the manual.. " Output Voltage: DC 11V (minimum) to DC 16V (maximum) " any sort of battery in cold condition won't hold 12 volts, so you will be very close to the mount misbehaving due to low voltage, remember measuring it when its not under load won't show the true supply voltage stick a meter on it while its slewing..., if the red LED flickers its not receiving enough voltage...

Thx for the tipps guys.

But i'm a little confused tweedy. That link to the Maplins, that requires 230V input (so normal electricity plug), how does that help me out in the field? (or did you mean that for indoor/backyard usage?)

Regards, Graem

the link to FLO was 

Thx for the tipps guys.

But i'm a little confused tweedy. That link to the Maplins, that requires 230V input (so normal electricity plug), how does that help me out in the field? (or did you mean that for indoor/backyard usage?)

Regards, Graem

You said in the first thread

"or is there a reasonnably affordable power connector for normal electricity plug that you would advise?"

so that is why i suggested the Maplins supply I occasionally use a mains supply if operating from home.

Batteries Deep cycle are the most reliable in the field solution unless you can afford a couple of Tracers :p

Archived