Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommendations for starting out?

The scope is best suited to imaging planets with a webcam,

Centre the planet, take a video, select and stack in suitable software.

You may be able to use the video aspect of the DSLR.

For the DSO items you need a fast scope and an good equitorial mount, with dual motors or goto.

For these you need to track the object accurately (hence the equitorial) and you take long ecposure shots (60 seconds and more). For this you use the DSLR with a seperate times and you take a series of (say) ten 60sec exposures then stack these in software.

Philips cameras still go for crazy prices. A logitech 4000 (and 3000 i believe) with the sony chip is nearly as good and you'll pick one up on ebay for £10-15.

Otherwise cex were selling the xbox live cam for £2 plus £2 delivery (a local store might have stock). Colour reproduction not as good as the logitech and it cant be modded for long exp but for the cost its brilliant.

Modfying the logitech is really straightforward. One screw holding case together, pull case open. On the circuit board crush the led, flip it over and remove the 2 screws on the lens mount and remove the filter. Screw back in. Then remove lens, cut 8mm or so from the lens holder, i'm a professional so i just grabbed a pair of scissors and snipped it, then screw in 1.25 adapter and fit together. About 5 mins work. Some bloke selling them for £30-40 on ebay already modified. Can always ask him if it is the sony sensor, not the sharp one to guarantee it. I got lucky and didn't know there were 2 versions.

Can't edit yet, but avoid the cheap cmos cameras as unless its for the moon they aren't sensitive enough. I find 15-20 fps is enough for planets etc. so don't bust a gut trying to find one that does 60+ fps.

Ps3 eyecam looks interesting for £6.50, ive just ordered one after seeing how longish (for a webcam) exposures are possible.

I started out with the same scope and a canon 1100d. You 'can' get images of some of the brighter DSO's, but as people above have said, it is better suited to moon/planets. 

I mean, if you already have the fitting to connect the camera to the scope, the orion nebula is a nice first target that a lot of people go for. You will only get short subs before polar rotation comes into effect, but it will give you an idea as to the different amounts of detail that you can see with visual vs a camera. 

Beware though, tis a slippery slope, and it isnt cheap!

Hi Adam, always worth a punt on Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" which you can get through First Light Optics - a great introduction to astrophotography and what you need to do to get started.

Don't know how this works with your scope, but a T-Ring is a cheap buy to connect your DSLR to the focusser - depending on the scope you may need and extension tube to help reach focus - and take shots of the moon - they are pretty easy and a fun way to get some quick astro shots. I am sure someone with the scope will be able to clarify if this is possible!

But, as Redmoo says, it is a slippery slope. I started with a T-Ring and my 1100d taking photos of the moon and have, in about 6 months, ended up buying a new mount, telescope, flattener, filters, gloves, motors, polar scope, scarf, extension tubes, batteries, wooly hat, cables, software, more filters and I am already thinking about the next mount upgrade!

I modified a XBOX Livecam and it was pretty easy to do. I have played around and the images aren't great, but it is a cheap way to get practice - and I do need a lot more practice!

Expensive....but fun! 

Good luck

Thanks for all your advice.

Could someone point me to a link for one on Ebay I have scoured the site for one but i just cant seem to come across any that are under £100.

Hi Adam, always worth a punt on Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" which you can get through First Light Optics - a great introduction to astrophotography and what you need to do to get started.

Thanks I will have a look.

Archived