Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Opinions please..

I would just like member's opinions on a combination that I am thinking of buying (the latest of several - one day I'll come to a decision and actually buy something!).

I am thinking of buying an Orion Optics (UK) VX10L f6.3 Newtonian tube, and mounting it on a Skywatcher NEQ6. Now, the weight of the OTA is nominally 12 Kg, and the stated capacity of the NEQ6 is 25 Kg, so shouldn't be any problem as regards weight, even if I want to do imaging (this would most likely be limited to webcam imaging of the moon and planets). The tube is 1.55 m long. 

Do you think a tube of this size on this mount would be at all unwieldy? Assuming that I wouldn't be using it if it was too breezy, would it be steady enough for both visual and webcam imaging?

I know Martin Mobberley had this setup for some time and says it was an excellent planetary and lunar scope, and these are my main areas of interest.

I'm hoping that somebody has a similar setup, even if not exactly the same.

I would have thought that for an imaging and visual lunar and planetary main interest a Maksutov or SCT would be a better choice. Either has a long native focal length and the compact tube would be a lot easier to mount adequately.   :smiley: 

How do you collimate a newt 1.5m long?

Can't reach the knobs at the same time as looking through the eye piece ?

Mine is 1.7m long and it's just a case of running backwards and forwards, adjusting and checking. Bit of a pain, perhaps a webcam would be easier...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived