SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Prusa i3 3D printer

tekkydave

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I fitted the new Igus bearings to the y-carriage. I tried printing some bearing blocks I found on Thingiverse but they turned out to be too wide for my carriage. I decided to use the original method of tie-wraps as it has been ok so far.

prusa_y-carriage_bearings2.jpg

prusa_y-carriage_bearings1.jpg

The y-carriage movement is a lot smoother and quieter so definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

I think I'll get some more for the other axes.

I see you've got a lot of pitting on your running rods - not surprised the ball bearing ones were noisy.  Glad the new bearings are much better :)

May not bother changing mine as the printer is working well - I can put up with a little bit of noise.  It'll be a lot quieter when in the fume cupboard.

I'm not sure if the pitting is caused by wear from the bearings or was there from the beginning. I know some kits don't use particularly high grade rods. It's only visible in extreme close up.

I'm still considering replacing the z-axis M5 threaded rods with 8mm lead screws but it also involves reprinting the z-axis support parts (4 pcs) and the x-axis motor and idler parts aswell. Maybe when I Get paid :D

The extra Igus bearings I ordered arrived so I fitted them to the other 2 axes.

The x-axis carriage

prusa_x-z-carriage-bearings1.jpg

And the z-axis 

prusa_x-z-carriage-bearings2.jpg

prusa_x-z-carriage-bearings3.jpg

I can't tell if the z-axis is quieter as it moves too slowly, but the x-axis is definitely smoother and quieter. The dominant sound now is the stepper motor movement and not the mechanical noise from the bearings. :D

YIKES!

My funding ploy worked... now I'm about to press 'buy' on one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reprap-Prusa-I3-Ultimate-3D-Printer-Kit-6mm-Aluminium-Frame-/152406260909?hash=item237c1efcad:g:nxEAAOSwgmJXyHCl

Reasons:

• Aluminium frame
  • UK seller
  • After sales advice
  • Decently rated PSU and steppers
  • Premises you can actually visit rather than somewhere in Hong Kong or a container at Southampton docks...

Before I do, is there anything else I should consider for up to the same price?

10 hours ago, Dave_D said:

mine arrives in a couple of days :D 

couple of questions.

where's best to get PLA in UK? only really going to be using black (oh so goth :D

has anyone tried using the carbon fibre filament for more robust items?

I have had good quality PLA from 3DPrima and WeDo3DPrinting on Amazon. I haven't tried carbon fibre but I hear it wears your nozzles out quite quickly. Like one nozzle per half reel of filament quickly.

Good luck with the new toy :D

On 09/02/2017 at 13:36, Stub Mandrel said:

YIKES!

My funding ploy worked... now I'm about to press 'buy' on one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reprap-Prusa-I3-Ultimate-3D-Printer-Kit-6mm-Aluminium-Frame-/152406260909?hash=item237c1efcad:g:nxEAAOSwgmJXyHCl

Reasons:

• Aluminium frame
  • UK seller
  • After sales advice
  • Decently rated PSU and steppers
  • Premises you can actually visit rather than somewhere in Hong Kong or a container at Southampton docks...

Before I do, is there anything else I should consider for up to the same price?

Looks like a good kit and very similar to my original kit. Main difference is that yours has a different hotend/extruder and is 1.75mm filament where mine is 3mm. Hopefully you will get a decent manual - I had to google most of my info. I hope what I have posted here, especially the early posts will help you too.

It would be a good idea to start your own build topic if you are planning to post your progress to keep things tidy. Post a link here and I'll follow you and offer any tips I can :D.

Edit: Downloaded the manual from ebay and it looks pretty good. I can see this kit already has some of the improvements I made to my own printer myself and is fully pre-configured.

2 hours ago, tekkydave said:

Looks like a good kit and very similar to my original kit. Main difference is that yours has a different hotend/extruder and is 1.75mm filament where mine is 3mm. Hopefully you will get a decent manual - I had to google most of my info. I hope what I have posted here, especially the early posts will help you too.

It would be a good idea to start your own build topic if you are planning to post your progress to keep things tidy. Post a link here and I'll follow you and offer any tips I can :D.

Edit: Downloaded the manual from ebay and it looks pretty good. I can see this kit already has some of the improvements I made to my own printer myself and is fully pre-configured.

That is VERY reassuring :-)

+1 for WeDo3DPrinting, I usually but off flea bay, they are good on the deliveries (1-2 days for filament & they do IGUS bearings etc..)

If you'd like to branch out from PLA, I'd recommend trying PETG, I find it easier to control than ABS & sticks to the bed much easier.

I find ABS sticks very well to a glass bed heated to 100°C :)  And it releases cleanly when the temperature drops to around 50°C.  I've tried PLA but had problems.  Haven't tried PETG.

Just take it slowly and carefully and be careful not to miss any steps - they often have to be done in the right order or you can't get at things, to do missed steps later.

Good luck with the build :)

Archived