NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Luna close in

Stardust

I was sorting files and found some Moon AVI's that I hadn't worked on and quite liked this one. A stack of 250/1000 taken with my Meade 127 refractor, QHY5L-IIM and maybe a Televue 3x barlow.

Run through PIPP, ASi2, registax for wavelets and a tweak in photoshop. Not used the first two programs before so pretty much default values, so any tips there welcomed. 

post-195-0-84824100-1417558827_thumb.jpg

Always like a nice picture of Clavius. Focusing with a barlow is always tricky. Sometimes 'less is more' in terms of the number of frames stacked. If you start adding in less favourable frame quality then it will degrade the final result. I have started only taking the best quality frames (so only those with a quality estimated at 75 or better out of 100). This might mean less overall frames but I have found it kind of works....then again if focus or seeing are not playing ball then the quality will be questionable as well.

I assume you used the 'surface' radio button on AS!2? that does catch out some people!

Good shot though!

I did try 100 frames but it was more noisey, maybe 150 would have been better. I missed the surface button the first time and wondered why things weren't good, does a far better job when checked

Not a bad image when you consider the distance involved, quite amazing what our kit can do.

Yes it is. Assume you ran the 'analyse' button as well to give you your quality graph? that then lists the quality of each frame in the top left hand corner of the images. AS2 should sort them into quality order (or what it thinks they should be). I usually then use the top slider to go through till it goes from 100% to 75%...then check the frame number. That is then the number of frames I stack. I also put the Align point (AP) size to 30 I think...

Archived