Vixen SLV 5mm EP has arrived

I have added to my EP range at the short end, and the SLV 5mm has just arrived (thanks starfox!). The build quality looks great, and the weight is very low. I do not expect to use it much in the C8, unless conditions are superb. In that case it should be great on Mars and the moon. I will probably use it a lot more on solar white light in the APM 80mm F/6, and planetary when I use the little frac as travel scope. I had on occasion been thinking about an XW5 but the cost is such that it is hard to justify (worse: it gets in the way of OTHER astro purchases :D). If it lives up to the performance claims by John (don't doubt it for a minute) I might get the 6mm as well, rather than a Delos.

I hope to test it in daytime shortly, and will give a full first light report in due course.

One thing I really like is the twist-up eyecup. The rubber eyecups of the old LV EPs I had (the 7 and the 9mm) were a bit of a pain, because they were very difficult to fold back (necessary for me as I wear glasses), but the end caps could not be put on with the eyecup folded back. This was always a hassle when using these EPs, because I always put caps back on the minute I switch to another. With the new design (similar to the NLV series) this is no longer a problem.

The 4.5mm and 6mm Delos prices have gone up by £17 at Telescope House in the last week.

Other TV prices appear to be the same.

So it is likely the 4.5 and 6mm are new stock, at 2015 prices.

Timed nicely for Christmas  :icon_santa:

Congratulations on the purchase, I am sure you wont be disappointed Michael they really are excellent eyepieces :laugh: 

I don't have the 5mm but I have most of the others and they are great value,

I mainly use the 9mm for Ha and the views it gives are wonderful, on good clear days I can even use the 2.5mm for white light.

I think I may well have to add one or two of these and now I see TS has started stocking them. I was thinking very seriously about the XO at 2.5mm but at almost a third of the price the Vixen is difficult to ignore.

However it seems TS can't read what is written on the barrel, stating 45 degree FOV, still they do have a rather large web-site

Congratulations on the new eyepiece Micheal and as already said, would be nice to read your thoughts on the 5mm.

Alan

Archived