Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

new eyepiece

Hi all great news my wife has agreed to buy me a nagler ep for Christmas but I'm not sure which one to get that will compliment the ep's I have already. At the moment I have eight in total all plossal's, three of them are planetary ep's the sizes are as follows: 5mm 4mm and 9mm I also have a kit with five plossal's in it the smallest is 7.5 mm then 12 mm 16mm 24mm and finally 30 mm so if anyone can give me any idea's of what would be best for looking at stars nebula and dso's I would be most grateful cheers Jimmy :-)

Hi all great news my wife has agreed to buy me a nagler ep for Christmas but I'm not sure which one to get that will compliment the ep's I have already. At the moment I have eight in total all plossal's, three of them are planetary ep's the sizes are as follows: 5mm 4mm and 9mm I also have a kit with five plossal's in it the smallest is 7.5 mm then 12 mm 16mm 24mm and finally 30 mm so if anyone can give me any idea's of what would be best for looking at stars nebula and dso's I would be most grateful cheers Jimmy :-)

jimmy dont want to trow a spanner in the works but i bought the 16&7 mm of these http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-nirvana-uwa-82-degree-fov.html 

the other day and they are extremely good. be warned though one you go into the 82deg world its very hard to look through anything else1

Hi Alan sorry I've got a skywatcher explorer 130/900 on a eq2 stand as you can see my primary mirror is 130 mm & the focal length is 900 or f 6.92 as to the budget I was thinking about £ 75.00 but since I looked on the classifieds I think a nagler might be out of my league as the person in question was starting at £ 145.00 so any ideas would be a start or am I stuck within the plossal range still cheers Alan :-)

At the £75 to £150 you can get some lovely eyepieces. The MaxVision (MV) 68° range are great at the lower end. The ES 82° at the upper end.

Or, get three BST Starguiders at £50 each. The extra field of vision will be very liberating.

I spent a lot of money on a couple of Telvue Delos Eyepieces. They are lovely but I'm reluctant to replace the MV's with more Delos, because I like them so much. :) :)

Paul

At the £75 to £150 you can get some lovely eyepieces. The MaxVision (MV) 68° range are great at the lower end. The ES 82° at the upper end.

Or, get three BST Starguiders at £50 each. The extra field of vision will be very liberating.

I spent a lot of money on a couple of Telvue Delos Eyepieces. They are lovely but I'm reluctant to replace the MV's with more Delos, because I like them so much. :) :)

Paul

i think the MV'S may be a little to hefty for the focuser but they are cracking EP'S for the money.

Hi Alan sorry I've got a skywatcher explorer 130/900 on a eq2 stand as you can see my primary mirror is 130 mm & the focal length is 900 or f 6.92 as to the budget I was thinking about £ 75.00 but since I looked on the classifieds I think a nagler might be out of my league as the person in question was starting at £ 145.00 so any ideas would be a start or am I stuck within the plossal range still cheers Alan :-)

why not buy TELVUE plossl 2nd hand?  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Televue-11mm-1-25-Plossl-Eyepiece-/291293083483?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item43d26bb75b

these are very good 

Or, Mr K's suggestion is a really good option, but these have pretty tight eye relief at 12mm. Not for those with glasses ....

If you are looking at the 7mm point. There is a second hand Delos 6mm on UK Astro Buy & Sell for £170 at the moment (really hoping that someone buys it before I let myself down yet again).

Paul

Or, Mr K's suggestion is a really good option, but these have pretty tight eye relief at 12mm. Not for those with glasses ....

If you are looking at the 7mm point. There is a second hand Delos 6mm on UK Astro Buy & Sell for £170 at the moment (really hoping that someone buys it before I let myself down yet again).

Paul

boy are those Delos's good. Paul ive had most of them i think the 17.3 & 6mm are the best of the set. the 14mm is the worst 

Thanx one and all you've really got me thinking with all the choice I thought I never had I don't know wheather to go ep or filter the choice is so difficult I do have a lot of ep's especially if I find my original ones that was lost when we moved I have been looking for them for a couple of years now so that's why I bought some new ones if I do find them it's a no brainer filters it will be in answer to the question what FL I would like don't know as I don't know what FL stands for is it focal length please tell anyway once again thanx everyone you have been more than helpful as usual I don't know we're I would be without this site it's the best in the world and the people are so friendly. Cheers. Jimmy :-)

As you rightly say, FL stands for focal length.

You pretty much have all bases covered with the selection of eyepieces you have.

Is there any reason you wanted another in particular?

Are there any that don't quite fit the bill or something you feel you are missing out on?

Otherwise, save your money. :)

Archived