Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wishing to Join the big boys, LDN 1251 in Cepheus

lensman57

After nearly 4 weeks of clouds and rain I get a clear night. I went for something a bit more difficult particularly from my back garden. I had to guide the mount manually to the location of the star HD 214710, the yellow giant to the right of the center ( this is a very interesting star ),  as this is the only recognisable feature of the dark molecular dust. I like it even though the data  is quite noisy but for a first attempt at this difficult target from a back garden I don't think that is too bad.

13 X 1200s subs with full calibration frames Stacked and processed in PI and PS. WO Star 71, Atik 428 EXC, IDAS D1 and HEQ5 Pro with PHD guiding.

Thanks for looking.

A.G

post-28808-0-09437800-1416055070_thumb.p

Really nice shot, your cam/scope combo is getting you some cracking images, how do you find the processing with this type of area with it being a dark cloud ? 

Cheers, Lee

Hi Lee,

Thanks mate, TBH the processing was a real royal pain and it took me over 6 hours, I really have to learn to tackle these dark nebulae and how to process the data. I had to use every trick that I knew. For a good laugh have a look at this link to my linear data out of PI, not much there.http://www.astrobin.com/136082/0/

Regards,

A.G

Nice and dusty and quite an acheivement from an imperfect site.

For me you could leave a bit more grain in it since these dusty targets do have a textured look anyway.

Olly

Thanks to Martin and Olly.

You are quite right I could have pushed the NR a bit more judiciously as parts of the background looks a little fluffy, like a wet MDF board and if I ever get the chance to add more data I probably will go for less NR. Funny thing is that I was all ready to press the delete button early this morning, I am gald I didn't 

Regards,

A.G

Archived