Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pier usage

MattJenko

For those of you with outdoor piers, do you leave your mounts attached to them all nicely polar aligned or do you take the mount off each time?

If you leave the mount on, how do you protect it from the great outdoors?

I am contemplating a permanent pier (no observatory possible as yet) but wonder if it is worth it.

You can remove the mount head and replace it without losing polar alignment if you go about it the right way. This really means having two pier tops, one of them remaining on the pier and the other being attached to the mount head below the adjustable part, so removing the mount doesn't affect the adjustment. This would allow you to have the best of both worlds, leaving the mount on and covered in short term bad weather but taking it off in protracted wet spells.

Also worth considering is a rigid cover just big enough to protect the mount. This falls well short of an observatory. It could just be a small sentry box on wheels which locates onto the pier to be in the right place and stable.

Olly

You can remove the mount head and replace it without losing polar alignment if you go about it the right way. This really means having two pier tops, one of them remaining on the pier and the other being attached to the mount head below the adjustable part, so removing the mount doesn't affect the adjustment. This would allow you to have the best of both worlds, leaving the mount on and covered in short term bad weather but taking it off in protracted wet spells.

Also worth considering is a rigid cover just big enough to protect the mount. This falls well short of an observatory. It could just be a small sentry box on wheels which locates onto the pier to be in the right place and stable.

Olly

Hi Olly,

Love the sentry box idea, I had exactly that idea last week, I am thinking of a 6x4 shed, with fixed roof, and a 3x2 sentry box right up against the shed, hinged to the shed down one side that is covering my pier, so just un clip and swing the sentry box out of the way, and the pier is then exposed and ready to use.

The reason for this is that I already have a permanent pier, so need to build an obsy around it in the space I have, so it is either what I have said above, or an L shaped shed with roll off roof........not easy to find or build...

Why do you think?

Regards

:)

SS

I agree but then it's intension is only for imaging so I'm sure it will serve it's purpose well.

I just thought I would throw this ideas in to the mix as it follows a similar sort of idea as the late great Sir P Moore's roll of shed attachicon.gifpost-8355-0-32872700-1405277604.jpg

Yes I think I might have to look at something like that, just a small shed to cover the scope, that rolls back when required, the 3x2 sentry shed as Olly mentioned above seems the best bet for me. The thing is I have the pier, with all cables running underground and 5 meters away I have a detached garage with a partitioned 8x6 foot room in which is a superb obsy, all plaster boarded, proper electric fitted, with electric heating, desks all round large 24" monitor, TV, kettle and all mod cons, the thought of moving all that into a smaller 6x4 shed, well ........

It just seems as if it should all be together really, but I should be satisfied with what I have, as some people have to set up on tripods every time and image sitting outside. I would not like that either.

My problem is I always want more.....lol

So for now I think just a roll off 3x2 shed over my pier, so I can leave the scope set up more permanently.

So for the rambling....:) :)

SS

I don't find that the tripod setup is that much of an ordeal, but it is the fact that a more permanent setup would just be easier! I could also then take more time and drift align and get it much more accurate for longer FL options in future etc.

However, the real benefit though to me right now would be in the ability to repeat image the same area of sky, and exactly that area of sky. Currently I am all over the place each time and while the time saved is not that much in reality (not insignificant though), my options would be so much greater. I can throw over a cover and leave the setup now, and have done so, but it is a leap of faith that everything will stay stable.

You can get some very good quality scope covers which will tie up on a pier type arangement, yes its not a perfect seal but its a good step in the right direction, if you know bad weather is incoming you can bring back inside what you need to.

The main issue is security imo.

I have two EQ6's that live outside at the moment. I cover the dovetail puck with an old woolly hat (the puck has sharp edges which will wear through any covering). Layer 2 is a bin liner - covering completely the mount & weights and sealed/held in place with insulating tape (this layer is meant to be just torn off). For longer spells put a Poundland dehumidifier box in the bag. Layers 3 & 4 are Poundland BBQ covers or something similar- they need to be held on well with bungee cords to prevent lift off. 

Outside pier & mount in BBQ covers

_dsf9807_1024_zps5bc73a2d.jpg

Archived