NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Grease, Oil or Nothing?

Don't use grease/oil, which could leak all over your lovely optics. I have heard that people use a little boot polish, which lubricates and also prevents the threads from cold-welding to each other in the cold, which is something I am going to try for this coming winter.

Unless you can lay your hands on a very low vapor preassure oil then do not use oil/grease near optics. if you need to lubricate use a very small amount of a dry lubricant like Molybdenum disulphide. Graphite, as good as it is, has a habit of getting everywhere.

Jeremy.

I have the smallest possible amount of lithium grease on mine as i cold welded something together. I'm not sure boot polish on optics is any better than lithium grease. Just be careful to not have excess or to rub raw threaded areas on your optics.

I use a micro-thin layer, applied with my finger, of Teflon-based bicycle-grease. As a bike-mechanic, I know how to apply a TINY amount of a grease so it stays put. It's the Teflon that does the work, and I've seen this stuff stay put for over 20 years with no loss of it's integrity - in other words, it doesn't turn liquid and start migrating.

Clear Skies,

Dave

Archived